Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I bought another G8! This time its a 2008 GT. I found it on FB. A small dealer bought it from an auction not running, engine half disassembled. He was going to sell it to a junk yard if no one took it because he doesn't have time for it, so I figured I try and save it from death. Not sure yet whats wrong with the engine and it needs some body parts (hood vent and spoiler cover). I bought it site unseen from TX, and I'm currently in AZ but the car is in CA where I normally live. (life in the military is trash, I'm never where I want to be) So the situation is kinda FUBAR. But, once I have the opportunity to get it running and driving again I plan to sell it back into the market; so someone else can enjoy it. I already have my 09 GT for a daily. Already bought a bunch of parts for it. Just wanted to document the process somewhere. I'm pretty excited to get this project going! :grin2: I'll make updates as progress is made. While I'm gone my friend is going to work on it and send photos for everyone to gander at.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
That does sound like a real project, but with the potential to be rewarding. If you're on active duty, you may have access to an auto hobby shop for a place to work and tools you may not own. You probably know that.

In 1972, I was at the Fleet ASW School in San Diego north across the bay from North Island. I pulled the heads on my 1965 Le Mans and had them sent out for a valve job when I was there.

Good luck with the GT and thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Sounds great and be sure to keep us posted on the project's progress. Would be nice to locate a salvaged or wrecked G8 mainly for spare parts.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Good luck bringing her back to life and thanks for serving!

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, my buddy got to poking around the engine a little. Very quickly found the reason the car did not run. A rod appears to have tried to make window in the block. Not an ideal situation. I cant seem to find any L76 short blocks for sale near San Diego so it may end up getting a Camaro engine.... I'll keep looking for a L76 for a little while though.

Attachments

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small update.... Purchased a new block from Summit Racing, and new bearings and rod plus other things for the engine rebuild. Around $1400 out the door for a bare aluminum block. 140 pounds the way it sits in the box. Pretty light. I'm still out of state from where the car is, so I only have the pictures my fiend gives me. But the engine rebuild should start this weekend. I'll keep updating as progress is made.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Not too long ago, visited one of the four Summit Racing locations and saw a 50ish fully restored Chevrolet Apache pickup. Nearly walked into the display...lol.

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old engine is out and being disassembled to determine if any parts can be reused. So far it seems promising that only the one rod and block are damaged.

Attachments

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things are getting spicy with this rebuild now. The piston has seen better days for sure, but it was expected. The head and valve on the other hand are perfectly fine dispite obvious contact with the piston at high speed. It will still need to be inspected for cracks though.

Attachments

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More carnage. Lucky I have a spare DOD cam around. Also it turns out 2 pistons bit the dust.

Attachments

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tear down complete. A few more casualties to list. It jumped time slighty but no real damage; the crank has some debris damage but i think itll polish out. Time to take the rotating assembly to the machine shop to be cleaned and balanced for the new parts.

Attachments

·
Engine Nerd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I havent been consistantly in the state for a while to update. But here it is. I decided to buy a new block from summit and build this engine up with forged internals. Eagle H beam rods, DSS pistons, BTR cam kit with titanium retainer, dual springs, ARP studs... the works.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts