Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some of your opinions. I want to upgrade my stock exhaust and was wondering whats worth the money, catback or axleback? Is there a significant difference for the money? I most likely will go with magnaflow but am concerned about drone.

·
Ride Orange
255 Posts
Looking for some of your opinions. I want to upgrade my stock exhaust and was wondering whats worth the money, catback or axleback? Is there a significant difference for the money? I most likely will go with magnaflow but am concerned about drone.
I have the Magnaflow 16795 cat-back on the way. Backordered until next week.

Look, until I joined this forum a few weeks ago, I had never heard the word "drone"!! A lot of people here seem to worry about drone.

I had a 90 mustang 5.0 with 2 chamber Flowmasters and I never worried about what is now known as drone. I couldn't wait for that awesome mustang/flowmaster sound, which is legendary to this very day!

If cabin resonance, drone, is heard, it is likely to be a "problem" only at a certain rpm, and unless that is your cruising rpm, you will be OK.

If you can wait a week or two, I will post my impressions on the Magnaflow cat-back.

·
Dazed - Confused
497 Posts
G8 V8's are very prone to drone, which is why there is such a quiet exhaust on vehicle.

I have SF Magnaflow Axlebacks with H-pipe and no mid-muffler on 08' and the Magnaflow catsback "street" system on my 09'. The latter is reported to have very little drone. My 08' finally got to me, and I had tuner remove DOD activation which solves problem. Got rid of DOD activation on 09' with tune almost immediately. From posts on various boards, the best system to buy to avoid drone is the Corsa catsback exhaust. However it costs about twice the price of most other popular aftermarket exhausts.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts