Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. We bought this car because it was mechanically solid and the interior is absolutely perfect. It even smelled new. Somewhere in its life, it took a hit up front that wiped out the front end but luckily didn't hurt the frame. So, I rolled the dice and took a chance, and am very glad I did.

It took some time but I was able to source all brand new OEM parts to replace the damaged stuff up front. After that, the car went to the paint shop. We elected to have the entire car sprayed just so everything matched. Once done there it was time for "shoes and socks." ForgeStar F14's with Michy pilots. This puts us into the fall of 2019. GM was on strike at the time which meant delays on parts for the engine upgrades.

ZL1/LSA blower, cam, rocker trunions, ID1050 injectors (a little big in case we ever decide to run E85), Kooks headers, ATI balancer, Fore Innovations fuel delivery, Borla, CAI from Boost District, ZL heat exchanger, new timing chain, and new Whiteline motor mounts. I chose the Lingenfelter stuff for the camshaft. This is my wife's car and I wanted her to enjoy driving it so a radical bump stick shaking like a pro stock car wasn't going to play well.

We own a gun company and are fortunate to have a full machine shop. I wanted the fuel pressure regulator mounted to the engine so that I didn't have to drill holes into the car. As I said, this car has not been hacked on so keeping it that way is a big deal to me. So, fired up the SolidWorks and once I had a model I threw some stock into my 5 axis and whipped up the mount. It slaves off the coil mounts on the valve covers.

Once finished it was time for the dyno. Black Hills Performance and Tuning in Rapid City SD took care of that. -Good folks. 8psi and 91 netted us 648 to the tire. A nice driver with plenty of scoot for when the urge strikes. We don't drive it much, maybe 500 miles a year now, but its 50 state capable and tons of fun.

Nice to keep one on the road for a change instead of selling all the organs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Outstanding build.
Thank you for rescuing your G8, she should bring a smile to your face every time you turn the key.
Drive safe.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Great story and build. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: R1toG8

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like that FPR mount!

·
every village has one
2,302 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Slick

Glad to see one did not hit the junkyard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words guys. One thing to note. This photo was taken during the GM strike. I've since replaced the rigid tensioner setup with the Dayco 89053. I have an 04 GTO that now has a Whippled 421. My first turn on the original engine was way back in 2007 when I threw a Maggie on it. The 6 rib belt sung like a church quire from that day forward. I tried every type of rigid tensioner available back then and learned a valuable lesson: Serp belts need surface area sufficient for the job and a dynamic tensioner.

We went to the 8 rib on the G8 with the Dayco piece and its been rock solid from day one. My GTO has a 10 rib belt with a drive setup that I made from scratch. It approaches 20psi and its never chirped a belt once. I wanted the blower to be completely indipendent of the accessory drive so I put it out in front. The idea being if the blower ever failed I could make it home. That proved useful as I killed the older 2.9L Whipple a year ago. I sliced the blower belt with a pocket knife, closed the hoold and drove it home. (nice!)

That supercharger has since been replaced with the newer 3.0L. ROWDY! :)

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very nice! Quick question on the motor mounts. Did you use the Whiteline GTO mounts, as I didn't know they made mounts for the G8?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. I had an extra pair kicking around. It worked out well as it increased the clearance between the ZL1 blower lid and the hood.

Also worked well for the headers as it gave me clearance for V bands and makes it easier to access the O2's.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Awesome work. I will never not love that color. Saved from the junkyard is right; I heard a collective sigh of 9C1 Caprice owners that now can't get their hands on all the interior bits :ROFLMAO:

-J

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice mill work on that mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, that turned out great! Nice work!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Both cars look amazing. Nice work!!

·
Registered
2009 pontiac G8 v6
12 Posts
The title says it all. We bought this car because it was mechanically solid and the interior is absolutely perfect. It even smelled new. Somewhere in its life, it took a hit up front that wiped out the front end but luckily didn't hurt the frame. So, I rolled the dice and took a chance, and am very glad I did.

It took some time but I was able to source all brand new OEM parts to replace the damaged stuff up front. After that, the car went to the paint shop. We elected to have the entire car sprayed just so everything matched. Once done there it was time for "shoes and socks." ForgeStar F14's with Michy pilots. This puts us into the fall of 2019. GM was on strike at the time which meant delays on parts for the engine upgrades.

ZL1/LSA blower, cam, rocker trunions, ID1050 injectors (a little big in case we ever decide to run E85), Kooks headers, ATI balancer, Fore Innovations fuel delivery, Borla, CAI from Boost District, ZL heat exchanger, new timing chain, and new Whiteline motor mounts. I chose the Lingenfelter stuff for the camshaft. This is my wife's car and I wanted her to enjoy driving it so a radical bump stick shaking like a pro stock car wasn't going to play well.

We own a gun company and are fortunate to have a full machine shop. I wanted the fuel pressure regulator mounted to the engine so that I didn't have to drill holes into the car. As I said, this car has not been hacked on so keeping it that way is a big deal to me. So, fired up the SolidWorks and once I had a model I threw some stock into my 5 axis and whipped up the mount. It slaves off the coil mounts on the valve covers.

Once finished it was time for the dyno. Black Hills Performance and Tuning in Rapid City SD took care of that. -Good folks. 8psi and 91 netted us 648 to the tire. A nice driver with plenty of scoot for when the urge strikes. We don't drive it much, maybe 500 miles a year now, but its 50 state capable and tons of fun.

Nice to keep one on the road for a change instead of selling all the organs. View attachment 183490

View attachment 183491

View attachment 183492 View attachment 183493

View attachment 183496

View attachment 183497

View attachment 183495
All I can say is that's a beautiful G8 good job building it

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nice to keep one on the road for a change instead of selling all the organs. View attachment 183490

View attachment 183491

View attachment 183492 View attachment 183493

View attachment 183496

View attachment 183497

View attachment 183495
Great Story! I'm loving the rims

·
Registered
468 Posts
What overall ratio does that vacuum pump end up at?
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What overall ratio does that vacuum pump end up at?
Thanks

It's roughly 1/2 engine rpm. Its the 4 vane Moroso "enhanced". I regulate it to 12" of vacuum at 7,000 rpm.

One thing about these. You gotta pay attention to how the vent gets baffled. Otherwise you'll fill a barf tank in about 25 miles. That was a messy lesson, lol.

I made the valve covers on my 421 and this thing. (5.3L with a BIG Whipple) I didn't baffle the bottom side and fought this until I came up with a setup to attach on top of the valve cover. That solved everything. I can go roughly 2 tanks of fuel now before having to drain it.

HoOdRaT: 2005 GTO with an 8.3L Whipple plopped on top of a built up 5.3L truck motor and all the methanol, lol.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts