Registered
1,607 Posts
Impressive build. A few questions:
How many miles on the car?
Pix of front end damage before repair?
Did airbags deploy?
What cam are you running?
Stock heads?
Any plans for suspension, brakes, interior, etc. to round out the build?
Suggestions:
If you haven't already, add an additional 1-1.5 quarts of fluid to the transmission. If you didn't install a transmission cooler, you should.
Also, seeing as the whole car was painted, I'd have it wet sanded, polished, PPF'd and ceramic coated, if you haven't already.
Lose the mudflaps.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
About how much horsepower is the 2005 GTO producing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
About how much horsepower is the 2005 GTO producing?

1st appointment on the rollers netted us 805 to the tire. Yep, it sucked, lol. None of us had any idea where we were going to land for boost with that big of a blower so I set it up -15% for the drive. That was good for 18psi. In the beginning, there was some miscommunication with Whipple as to what the limits are on the 8.3L blower. That has since been resolved. Were able to lean on this thing a whole lot harder than we originally were told. So, now it has a 1:1 setup and I have the "Arkansas pulley" (missing teeth) on standby. 30-40 psi should be very possible now.

Next, we discovered that our IAT's were nuclear (260*F) because the 2nd set of injectors had not been wired up yet. This was expected and it has since been resolved. The good news is that running alky does a good job of making this less of a crisis than normal. I have friends in the 3500hp region who don't cool ahead of the screws and they get away with it thanks to methanol.

We learned our exhaust was being choked pretty bad too so we had to fix that as well. (We made a set of zoomies, 2-1/8" dia to fix that).

Last, was the ignition. I was never impressed with the AMP Smart Coils so those were pulled and I put an MSD Pro 600 CDI on it instead. (That REALLY woke stuff up).
I've got a new cam coming for it. Getting rid of the hydraulic and going to a solid roller. We're making some changes to the numbers as making boost/power at 3000+ feet elevation is quite a bit different than doing it at or below 1000'.

So, it's been a bit of a learning curve, but we're figuring it out and it hasn't broken anything so that's a small victory. The killer thing we discovered with this thing is that it has LUNGS. This little motor is begging to be spun all the way to 10k rpm. The "LS motors don't like to rev" thing is proving to be a fallacy. I don't have the guts to try that, but the curve (more like Hillclimb) on the dyno chart and the duty cycle with the injector setup (ID 2600's and BA160#) shows us that we're nowhere near the ceiling of airflow. Pretty cool for a pair of rinky-dink cathedral port heads, lol.

The end goal is to land somewhere in the 1300-1400 range. I can't imagine a 10.5 tire ever tolerating much more than that. We're hoping to hit the low 5-second bar with it. The season for us starts in late April so fingers crossed. We should have it ready by then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Impressive build. A few questions:
How many miles on the car? 80k
Pix of front end damage before repair? Nope
Did airbags deploy? Nope
What cam are you running? GT14
Stock heads? Yep
Any plans for suspension, brakes, interior, etc. to round out the build? Brakes are done. Suspension as ambition allows. I have 2 cars that are track use that I have to get ready for summer. Keep in mind this car gets driven by a grandmother. It'll never see a race track and aside from the occasional stab from a stoplight, it'll live a very pampered life.

Suggestions:
If you haven't already, add an additional 1-1.5 quarts of fluid to the transmission. If you didn't install a transmission cooler, you should.
Also, seeing as the whole car was painted, I'd have it wet sanded, polished, PPF'd and ceramic coated, if you haven't already. It's coming. Just have to get it fitted into the schedule.
Lose the mudflaps. They don't bother us so they'll stay.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts