Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in playing w/ my exhaust (I have kooks long tubes as well as the kooks catted mid pipe) i took off my stock mufflers today. So i'm basically running headers > cats > x-pipe and done. Just wanted to see what it sounded like (thinking of getting the solo axle backs). It sounds good, but there's a lot of backfire/popping going on when i let off the gas. is this normal/is there any danger to this?

·
Banned
7,067 Posts
Your car pops with the stock axlebacks on there, you just don't hear it because they muffle the sound of the popping.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My corsas pop on decel too. I kinda like it...

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
It won't be quite as much with the Solo axle backs as it is with your mufflers removed. Right now your pipes are directly underneath the plastic tire well of the car. With the Solo it will extend into the rear valance. I normally get some "burble" when decel rpms fall below 1500-2000 rpms.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Solo V2 really has a nice burble on deceleration. Gets a lot of people's attention. As an added bonus, the wife likes the sound also.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Love that decel burble.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I have it, love it. Nothing obnoxious, no complaints.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
GXP's do it with even the stock exhaust, I like it since it's fairly subtle, but if my car was stupid loud, I think it'd be more annoying.

·
Sooper Moderatorator
2,855 Posts
I love it!!!! I wish I could hear mine. :(

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I just cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could actually dislike the pops/burbles on deceleration (not talking about the OP, I understood what you were asking... just saying in general). It's a classic part of V8 exhaust sound - a signature tonal characteristic of a large displacement beast of a beautiful masterpiece of an engine. It absolutely boggles my mind that some people would actually want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could actually dislike the pops/burbles on deceleration (not talking about the OP, I understood what you were asking... just saying in general). It's a classic part of V8 exhaust sound - a signature tonal characteristic of a large displacement beast of a beautiful masterpiece of an engine. It absolutely boggles my mind that some people would actually want to get rid of it.
This just in....People have different tastes :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
39 Participants
BLACKJACKS3
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing