Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did VIM this weekend thanks HoLLo's guide and now looking for backup camera suggestions. Trying to find on that looks as stock as possible and has decent video quality. Most of the cameras I'm finding are license plate cameras, would looks like a camera randomly screwed to the trunk, or have awful video quality.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used the Esky EC170-11. $20 on Amazon, but it's the no-guideline version, they make a guideline version one if you're using standard Rear Aux. The camera itself is tiny, and is barely noticeable, has great quality day and night, and easy to install. I currently just have it stuck to the trunk with double-sided tape while I drive around for awhile before I decide on a permanent mounting location and screw it in.

I posted a couple pics here, post 55. http://www.g8board.com/forums/9-stereo-electronics/261890-how-guide-diy-vim-unlock-enable-factory-reverse-cam-v9-other-radio-twea-3.html#post3474993

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts
I used the BOYO Vision VTK230HD. I mounted it under the lip of the trunk as there happens to be a plastic plug that when removed this fits perfectly through!

See the attached photo. You can just barely see the camera above the letter W. With the black plate frame you can hardly tell it is there. I have had mine for two years now through everything (snow, sleet, rain) as mine is my DD. It finally died on me last week. A new one is on order for me!

Good luck!

SG

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I found the one I have on ebaymotors Australia. It came from someplace in China. It was listed as "Sony CCD Holden Commodore ... reverse camera", but I really doubt it's really a Sony camera. It does have guidelines and I've never had any issues with the image. I've had it for a couple of years, so I don't know if the same one would still be there. It was about AU$40 shipped.

It replaces one of the licence plate lights. I've had it on both sides but the right side seems to be the better side for it. It's located just above the year sticker in this photo. It makes the plate a tight fit, but not overly tight - just takes a little determination. Sanding a few milllimetres off the back of the camera would probably fix that problem.

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: VE Commodore Conversion - Front Bar & Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps, Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), VG Shark Fin, LED Fog Light Covers for DRLs, CoStar Bluetooth, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 LSD, Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I used the BOYO Vision VTK230HD. I mounted it under the lip of the trunk as there happens to be a plastic plug that when removed this fits perfectly through!
I saw that hole and was curious if there was something that would fit through so I could use it.

I actually bought two cameras to see which one I like the best. I bought the one RoLLo suggested above Esky EC170 and THIS ONE, with the hopes to utilize that hole in the trunk that Steven did.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I bought the same Esky one that hollo is using. It's tiny and the picture is pretty good. The resolution of the radio screen is holding back the image quality of the camera and not the camera itself in my opinion.

I had to trim down the passengers side license plate light to be able to fit the cable through. I didn't want to drill into the car and didn't see any other spot that was big enough to feed the wires through.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I ordered this one from eBay. replaces one of the Lic plate lamps. I chose this one since it uses the stock bulb to light the lic plate. Others I have seen for the Commodore/G8 have a led light in them. You will then have 2 different lic plate lamps, Would just look bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ordered this one from eBay. replaces one of the Lic plate lamps. I chose this one since it uses the stock bulb to light the lic plate. Others I have seen for the Commodore/G8 have a led light in them. You will then have 2 different lic plate lamps, Would just look bad.

I wish I had seen that one. I much prefer the more incandescent kind of light colour. LEDs are usually too blue for me. I replaced my other plate light with an LED and at least have the same colour on both sides of the plate instead of yellow-ish (left) and blue-ish (right), but it still looks odd to me.

Mods: VE Commodore Conversion - Front Bar & Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps, Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), VG Shark Fin, LED Fog Light Covers for DRLs, CoStar Bluetooth, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 LSD, Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

See the attached photo. You can just barely see the camera above the letter W. With the black plate frame you can hardly tell it is there. I have had mine for two years now through everything (snow, sleet, rain) as mine is my DD. It finally died on me last week. A new one is on order for me!

Good luck!

SG
Do you have a closeup of the camera?

Do you have a link to both?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have a closeup of the camera?

Do you have a link to both?

I found a link to one that looks like the one I have, but the price has gone up about AU$10 over time. AND they now seem to have the non-LED version. It's on ebay Australia here. Be sure the size is correct. If it's a couple of mm too big, it will not fit without resizing the plate-light hole. The listing looks like it's for every "V" series Commodore, from VR thru VE. The listing has pictures showing lights with several dimensions, so be wary.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

·
Superior Surveyor
244 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got both cameras yesterday (Esky EC170 and THIS ONE). The picture quality on the second one is quite a bit nicer than the first. The bolt threaded piece also fits the hole in the trunk lid perfectly which makes the camera look 100% stock. Very similar to how Steven's camera looks but it isn't long so it is hidden very well. Now onto the bad...

- The threaded piece is near the back side (opposite lens) of the camera. Unfortunately, the hole in the trunk lid is offset away from the license plate which means with the combination of the two offsets (camera and trunk hole), the camera hits the lip on the underside of the trunk lid. Luckily, there are 4 screws that can be removed on the camera and with some persuasion, the mounting plate on the camera can be rotated 180 degrees which means the threaded piece is now at the front side of the camera and makes it a perfect fit into the trunk.

- The threaded piece seems to be made out of the softest metal in the world. I was tightening the nut down onto the lock washer and just the extra bit of force necessary to compress the lock washer caused me to strip the threads on the camera. I ended up using some double sided tape and what little force I could apply on the stripped threads to hold it in place.

- No double sided tape / foam is included with the camera. There should be a double sided tape/foam pad which is the same shape as the base of the camera included.

The overall installation wasn't too difficult aside from having to fish the wires through the rubber hose/grommet that goes from the trunk lid to the trunk. What caused the biggest problem was the video RCA connector as that is way too big to fit through, so I ended up having to cut it off, fish the wire through and then resolder it on.

One last issue is that there is a decent amount of noise in the video. It looks to be caused by a ground loop between the ground on the camera and the ground on the RCA back to the radio. If I unplug the ground for the camera, thus causing the camera to ground out through the RCA all the noise goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I found a link to one that looks like the one I have, but the price has gone up about AU$10 over time. AND they now seem to have the non-LED version. It's on ebay Australia here. Be sure the size is correct. If it's a couple of mm too big, it will not fit without resizing the plate-light hole. The listing looks like it's for every "V" series Commodore, from VR thru VE. The listing has pictures showing lights with several dimensions, so be wary.

Link on the camera I ordered
Car Rear View Camera for Holden Astra Barina Tigra Vectra Parking reversing cam | eBay

Here is one that "looks the same" and is less than 1/2 the price.

Car Rear View Camera For Opel Astra J Vectra Antara Corsa Zafira Backup Rear Cam

or Rear View Reverse Camera Backup Cam For Opel Vauxhall Corsa Astra Zafira Vectra

I went with the higher priced one. The additional wiring looked better, is has packaging and instructions.
more of a kit. there are tons of choices.
Thank you all for the information and links. So many options!

Thank you for taking those pictures.

Got both cameras yesterday (Esky EC170 and THIS ONE). The picture quality on the second one is quite a bit nicer than the first. The bolt threaded piece also fits the hole in the trunk lid perfectly which makes the camera look 100% stock. Very similar to how Steven's camera looks but it isn't long so it is hidden very well. Now onto the bad...

- The threaded piece is near the back side (opposite lens) of the camera. Unfortunately, the hole in the trunk lid is offset away from the license plate which means with the combination of the two offsets (camera and trunk hole), the camera hits the lip on the underside of the trunk lid. Luckily, there are 4 screws that can be removed on the camera and with some persuasion, the mounting plate on the camera can be rotated 180 degrees which means the threaded piece is now at the front side of the camera and makes it a perfect fit into the trunk.

- The threaded piece seems to be made out of the softest metal in the world. I was tightening the nut down onto the lock washer and just the extra bit of force necessary to compress the lock washer caused me to strip the threads on the camera. I ended up using some double sided tape and what little force I could apply on the stripped threads to hold it in place.

- No double sided tape / foam is included with the camera. There should be a double sided tape/foam pad which is the same shape as the base of the camera included.

The overall installation wasn't too difficult aside from having to fish the wires through the rubber hose/grommet that goes from the trunk lid to the trunk. What caused the biggest problem was the video RCA connector as that is way too big to fit through, so I ended up having to cut it off, fish the wire through and then resolder it on.

One last issue is that there is a decent amount of noise in the video. It looks to be caused by a ground loop between the ground on the camera and the ground on the RCA back to the radio. If I unplug the ground for the camera, thus causing the camera to ground out through the RCA all the noise goes away.
Great review and I like the second camera you ended up installing. I also like that the grid lines can be removed by cutting the wire. Along with mirroring the camera as well.

How's the picture quality and how does it perform at night?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great review and I like the second camera you ended up installing. I also like that the grid lines can be removed by cutting the wire. Along with mirroring the camera as well.

How's the picture quality and how does it perform at night?
Quality is very good, but like terryscott621 above mentioned, the resolution of the screen is holding things back. I'm not sure how it performs at night though as I have yet to try it out at night.

I'm going to attempt grounding the radio with the camera and my aftermarket stereo to try and remove video noise and hopefully the alternator whine that plagues most G8s with aftermarket stereos.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Quality is very good, but like terryscott621 above mentioned, the resolution of the screen is holding things back. I'm not sure how it performs at night though as I have yet to try it out at night.
Okay, well keep us posted on the night shots.

As far as the video quality is concerned, that's good to hear. I rather be limited by the video screen of the head unit versus being limited by the camera.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Will these make it easier to plug in the camera and anything one wanted to plug in for the rear AUX?

I know what the yellow (video), white (left/mono), and red (right) are. What about the black? Camera?

Yeah. That's exactly what it looks like. Black would be for the reverse camera.

There's a cheaper option on eBay. These are the ones that I bought. They do actually come with the reverse camera hookup even though it doesn't show it. The seller said he needs to update the listing.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-G8-Video-in-Motion-VIM-rear-aux-cable-for-factory-headunit-/252922090853?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Yeah. That's exactly what it looks like. Black would be for the reverse camera.

There's a cheaper option on eBay. These are the ones that I bought. They do actually come with the reverse camera hookup even though it doesn't show it. The seller said he needs to update the listing.

Pontiac G8 Video in Motion (VIM) rear aux cable for factory headunit | eBay
Cheaper and in the US as well! Though it seems to be lacking that OEM-look which those Australia cables have with the tape.

Do you have any pictures of the cables with the camera input?

Attaching the one from the listing for future reference:

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, well keep us posted on the night shots.
Tried it out at night recently and it was good enough to see anything I would want to out of the camera. With no lights, as expected it is completely dark but when lit up by brake lights, reverse lights, or both you can see plenty and it isn't really grainy like many cameras get.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts