Pontiac G8 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
My throttle body came today and is getting put on tonight. So that should take care of the CEL for the throttle position not learned, now for the purge CEL. So I should get a purge valve solenoid and hopefully it fixes the issue. So is there a particular reason that would send it in to safety mode because that's a new one for me
That was the throttle that did that, not the purge valve. The same thing happened when my throttle died. It threw like three throttle-related codes and went into low power mode while I was on the highway, no less.

The way I understand it, if a major engine control is not available or not functioning properly and the computer can't communicate with it or get proper readings from it, the computer defaults to a default set of fixed parameters that SHOULD keep the engine running by default regardless of the climate or conditions the engine is operating in. If everything is working properly then the computer adjusts engine parameters constantly to match demands and conditions in order to get the best performance and economy out of it. Limp home mode is there just to get the car to its destination, and economy and performance are left to suffer as a result.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Even thou the service manual doesn't say you would go into the reduced power mode if a P2176 code had been detected, another throttle body fault code section does say that anytime the ECM detects an error between the trottle bodies 2 position sensors, it "will" default to the reduced power mode (limp home mode) for the duration of that ignition cycle. Makes it sound like (after a short ignition off rest period) the car might return to a normal condition before possibly happening again.
Yeah when mine went out a year ago, I was just getting the P2176 code for the longest time but it would not go into limp home mode - although the idle was rough and cruise control was working but also rough at steady speeds. I just reset the code and carried on - that worked for about a year.

It only when into limp mode when the throttle REALLY died and threw like three codes at once.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I should clarify that I don't specifically recommend using ACDelco in place of a GM OEM part - if available, always use the OEM part - but if a GM OEM brand part is not available then ACDelco is the next best option. I have found, in the course of owning GM ca uprs, that using GM OEM parts or ACDelco (GM's approved "aftermarket" parts brand) is the best bet, at least in terms of sensors, engine controls, and anything electronic/electrical.

I assume by "So how much do you want for it and why are you selling it?" you mean my car.

To put it simply, it no longer makes sense, financial or otherwise, for me to keep the car and keep putting money into it. It is high mileage at 164k miles and many of those miles are Greater-Toronto-Area winter miles, which take a toll on any vehicle. The car was already an "old car" by the time my commute nearly tripled in distance three years ago, which has only accelerated the process. The car still runs and shifts well enough but it needs some work to fix it up, and because I have no space to work on it myself, I would have to pay someone else to do everything for me and that will drive the cost up even more. It's a base model G8 with literally zero extra options (its first owner was a rental car company), so it isn't worth too much money now, and I would have to put more money into it to fix it up than it is worth. I'm also, frankly, tired of it and ready to move on to something else. I've had it since March of 2011 and it is no longer of interest to me, and I am not a project-car person so it has no prospects for being restored or refurbished while it is in my hands. I could continue driving it until it dies, but then it would be worth even less (scrap metal value only) and it would not have any chance to go to someone who might be able to do something with it. My hope is that it will go to someone who doesn't mind spending a bit of money to fix it up and restore it. When the time comes (I likely won't see my new vehicle until May as it has yet to be built), I will be trying to sell it somewhere in the range of $1000-2000 Canadian.
My throttle body came today and is getting put on tonight. So that should take care of the CEL for the throttle position not learned, now for the purge CEL. So I should get a purge valve solenoid and hopefully it fixes the issue. So is there a particular reason that would send it in to safety mode because that's a new one for me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok so limp mode is happening because of the throttle body which I'm replacing as we speak. But you recommend I get a new purge valve solenoid to end the purge code? I'm checking it out now. Here's wats showing..
Screenshot_20200310-194222.png

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok so limp mode is happening because of the throttle body which I'm replacing as we speak. But you recommend I get a new purge valve solenoid to end the purge code? I'm checking it out now. Here's wats showing..
You might as well - many of us have had to replace the EVAP valve, they just go bad. That, to me, sounds like it's stuck open or something. Some of us had issues where the car was hard to start immediately after filling up with gas, others just have engine codes like you did. Either way, the valve is cheap and easy to replace so do it.

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
For what it's worth, General Motors/AcDelco original equipment are the better option regarding an oem part. Keep in mind, the original part might be made by a variety of companies like Denso, Hitcahi, Bosch, etc. AcDelco professional which is an aftermarket product line is essentially hit-n-miss and have the "t-shirt of disappointment" to prove it. Don't recall ever purchasing an AcDelco advantage part which is the lowest tier of the three.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sry about the delayed reply. A lot going. Well I will stick with what you said. I really appreciate your time and help. You guys are awesome.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts