Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my GXP bumper didn't last long.

Last Tuesday my car was parallel-parked in front of my office. An old man went to park behind me, and from the witnesses statements he stepped out of his car while it was still in gear, driving forward into my rear bumper with enough force to move my car more than two feet forward until it was stopped...by the tow hitch of an SUV.

Long story short, the back bumper suffered serious paint damage and got bent. The photos don't show any denting, because the rear shock absorber did a good job distributing the impact force, but the gap between the bumper and the other body panels, especially around the rear brake lights, became warped and bowed. The lower diffuser had a minor scratch put in it.

Perhaps most notably, however, was the TOW HITCH EMBEDDED IN MY BRAND NEW BUMPER. Yup, another bumper bites the dust. One of my rims also suffered some minor rash.

So the insurance company appraiser said the front and rear bumpers needed replaced, as well as one of the GT rims. GM cost on ONE rim is $1058! So they cut me a check for $4200, but I have hook ups in the body shop world, and the repairs are only going to run me $1900.

In other words: MOD MONEY!

So far I've ordered: Slotted/Drilled rotors and ceramic pads, custom exhaust, and a RotoFab CAI. Also, my body shop will be professionally cleaning and painting my calipers and Roto-Fab intake tube liquid red, and the dust covers gloss black.

Eibach lowering suspension will be coming soon as well.

I will also be pursuing a diminished value claim on the vehicle, since there was substantial damage that will be reported and thus impact the resale value. Granted, I don't plan on selling the car, so that just means more mod money!

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
At least it worked out..Kind of!! Good luck with the repairs!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss, but good luck with the gains.

So, you changed out the front bumper but left the GT rear diffuser...? Just asking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my rear bumper came in and so did the front one, but it was the front bumper for a G6 GXP! So my body shop had to re-order the correct part, but luckily it still seems that GM has them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the loss, but good luck with the gains.

So, you changed out the front bumper but left the GT rear diffuser...? Just asking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

Originally, yeah. I actually rather liked the look of the honey comb GT one, even though it's a bitch to clean. Now that this has happened I've ordered the GXP rear diffuser in place of the GT one, because it got a dent in it as a result of the collision.

·
Registered
864 Posts
man that sucks... But it works out for ya in the end cannot wait to see the finished product...

·
Facebook Moderator
1,452 Posts
hey did they start producing that little lip for the GXP again?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sort of. When I talked to my connection at GM, he said they ran 169 of the parts, total, to fill existing orders. I'm assuming everyone that had one on backorder got one, but it doesn't seem like they ran a much of a surplus of them. I could be wrong on that though.

I just called my parts guy at my dealership, and had him check stock on part number 092224778 and he said they were available for purchase. If you want one, now would be the time to buy one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts