Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car used it had 45K on the odometer and there was no reason to suspect that the plugs weren't factory installed. So, I changed them just over a year ago at about 100k.

What I took out was AC Delco 41-985 and what I put in was AC Delco 41-110. Both are iridium. I bought the new ones from a third-party seller on Amazon and they looked legit. However, in the process of troubleshooting a misfire problem late last week, I pulled a couple of the new plugs and they don't look right to me. In the attached photo, the one on the right is one of the original 41-985 plugs with at least 65K on it. The left is one of the new 41-110 plugs with maybe 15K.

I verified the gap on each one of the new ones at .40 prior to install. I was very careful and even bought one of those disc-shaped wire gauges that I read a lot of members raving about. I think that I only had to adjust one that was slightly off. All of the others were perfect. The two that I pulled now measure at .60+ and you can see that there is significant rounding/loss on the electrode. Note that I did NOT change the wires at the time and it was on my to-do list but I honestly forgot about it. So, like the plugs, the assumption is that the wires are original too.

Do you guys think that these could be bad plugs or is there something else going on?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Would purchase a fresh set of AcDelco 41-110 spark plugs from the auto place that rocks and use the current rebate/promotion for $3 off per spark plug. Am quite sure the same deal can be found elsewhere by simply downloading and printing the pdf file. Will normally steer clear of Amazon's third party vendors when it comes to electrical parts. Good luck

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yes you got Bogus plugs. If you look at the original plug there is also a button hard insert in the ground strap right above the centre electrode .Its missing on the plug on the left. I put 41-110 in my car last month and they have the extra bump in ground strap. I also when I gap my plugs make sure that bump is directly over the centre electrode to give it the most even and consistent spark path. I also grind off any extra overhang from the end of the ground electrode. makes the idle smoother

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would purchase a fresh set of AcDelco 41-110 spark plugs from the auto place that rocks and use the current rebate/promotion for $3 off per spark plug. Am quite sure the same deal can be found elsewhere by simply downloading and printing the pdf file. Will normally steer clear of Amazon's third party vendors when it comes to electrical parts. Good luck
Yeah, I bought new ones direct from Amazon and will be cashing in on that ACDelco $3 rebate.

Yes you got Bogus plugs. If you look at the original plug there is also a button hard insert in the ground strap right above the centre electrode .Its missing on the plug on the left. I put 41-110 in my car last month and they have the extra bump in ground strap. I also when I gap my plugs make sure that bump is directly over the centre electrode to give it the most even and consistent spark path. I also grind off any extra overhang from the end of the ground electrode. makes the idle smoother
I knew they had to be crap. I still have the original packaging from those fake plugs. When the new plugs arrived, I compared the packaging between the two. They looked damn near identical but one difference was the warranty statement. The fakes say "100,000 miles". The new ones say "7 years unlimited mileage" which is the correct terms.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Amazon direct tends to be somewhat of a more reliable source and are oftentimes easier to resolve issues with versus third-party sellers or vendors. Having said that, Amazon's thirty day return policy sometimes negates making significant purchases unless the deal is too great to pass up. The installation date could be slightly beyond the thirty day return window, but everything has to be ordered in advance to ensure it's correct and applicable to the installation. Depending on the scope and realm of the project, thirty days is inadequate to install and properly test xyz part. However, none of that is neither here nor there... gesh.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazon direct tends to be somewhat of a more reliable source and are oftentimes easier to resolve issues with versus third-party sellers or vendors. Having said that, Amazon's thirty day return policy sometimes negates making significant purchases unless the deal is too great to pass up. The installation date could be slightly beyond the thirty day return window, but everything has to be ordered in advance to ensure it's correct and applicable to the installation. Depending on the scope and realm of the project, thirty days is inadequate to install and properly test xyz part. However, none of that is neither here nor there... gesh.
Actually, believe it or not, Amazon honors ACDelco's 7-year warranty if you buy direct from them. I spoke to reps from both and they confirmed that. However, Amazon does not honor it with third-party sellers. So, when I bought the new plugs and wires, I made sure they were shipped and sold by Amazon. They cost more but at least the warranty is covered.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Didn't know that and does the same principle apply to other manufacturers as well?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Why not just use the NGK TR6 plugs, and gap them at .042?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Standard Plugs are crap in these engines, and you will have to replace them more often. They are cheap but the performance will degrade so fast.
For the OP, he would be better off to clean and regap the original plugs until he get real 41-110's

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Standard Plugs are crap in these engines, and you will have to replace them more often. They are cheap but the performance will degrade so fast.
For the OP, he would be better off to clean and regap the original plugs until he get real 41-110's
I guess I am just use to race car. lol I swap mine out all the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, is there some universal way to identify genuine ACDelco parts from knockoffs?

I'm thinking of replacing all of my ignition coils and I've found them from a seller on eBay for $20 less than Amazon sells them for. Seems like a reputable seller with good reviews but I'd still like to be able to proof the parts if possible.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Is that $20 less per ignition coil or a total savings of $20? Twenty dollars less per ignition coil would be a bit suspect versus a savings of $20. Bear in mind, both round and square ignition coils were used on the G8 and be sure you're looking at the right part. I can't readily identify fake AcDelco parts without doing a side-by-side comparison with the original part. Any seller could use a genuine stock photo and knowingly or unknowing ship something completely different. Regarding feedback on eBay, have discovered many sellers with questionable positive feedback i.e. the same buyer leaving multiple blocks of feedback at a time. Would contact the seller for a succinct response.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that $20 less per ignition coil or a total savings of $20? Twenty dollars less per ignition coil would be a bit suspect versus a savings of $20. Bear in mind, both round and square ignition coils were used on the G8 and be sure you're looking at the right part. I can't readily identify fake AcDelco parts without doing a side-by-side comparison with the original part. Any seller could use a genuine stock photo and knowingly or unknowing ship something completely different. Regarding feedback on eBay, have discovered many sellers with questionable positive feedback i.e. the same buyer leaving multiple blocks of feedback at a time. Would contact the seller for a succinct response.
Yeah, I get it. The old "too good to be true" thing should always come to mind when you see price differences like that. But, I'm telling you, I don't know how some of these people do it. Maybe they are buying at cost or at overstock auctions but you can find some amazing deals on eBay. I'm no fool so I usually take time to do a little research on the product and vet the seller as much as possible before I buy. I just updated all of my electrical testing equipment and was buying brand new genuine Fluke gear for 30-75% below retail.

I was just thinking that maybe ACDelco marked their products in some way that would be a clear indicator. Sure, counterfeiters will try to duplicate stuff like that but quality manufacturers charge what they do because they're particular on how they build their products and what materials they use. I know from my line of work that some manufacturers will even stamp components with UV ink proprietary markings to authenticate them. Stuff like that takes effort to mimic that counterfeiters generally wont bother with because they're counting on the uninformed consumer to take their garbage at face value.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
RuLEoF2
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing