Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove badges. In the past I used goo gone on my other cars. I just want to make sure I'm doing it the safest way for the paint.

·
Registered
249 Posts
From what I've read/heard. Heat gun and goo gone work best. Never tried it though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
3m makes a adhesive remover that's safe for paint. Mine was already debadged but one way is fishing line wire.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Careful with heat gun but does work. softens the glue behind the tags. But so would the 3m and no worries on paint damage.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun. Th badges don't take much to come off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I parked with the rear end in the sun for about 15 minutes then used 3M adhesive remover (the spray can kind). Soak the badge with it, let sit a minute or two, then pull it off (don't dig your finger nails into the paint while prying).

Then just continue to spray the adhesive residue and wipe with a soft towel. If there is stubborn adhesive, use a clay bar and detail spray. Then just polish any minor defects out if present/desired.

Make sure to wax the area after you're done. The 3M and/or the claybar will remove any protection on contact.

Ryan

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used fishing line to slice between the badge and car..trying to stay as close to the car as possible. Then rubbed a lot of what is left off with my thumb. Then used 3m Adhesive and sticker removal. Follow the directions on it... pretty simple. Then I used a light polish to remove that what looks like a burn in/fade from where the badge was and the sun hit the metal. Then you're all done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is a wheel that you can put on your drill that will quickly remove all the backing and not harm the paint. Google 3M 07498 and 3M 07501. They use a knock off version of the 07498 here. Not really cheap but if your de-badging an entire car or multiple cars... probably well worth the $

·
Registered
211 Posts
fishing line and goo gone works great willie

·
Registered
524 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts