Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an OBDII system can you power up the car enough to unlock the door through the accessory port using a battery "jumping" device that has a cigarette lighter power out? Or must you connect it through the OBDII port? I'm thinking of giving my daughters one of these for Christmas for this purpose. I am aware that you cannot actually jump the car with one. Just wanting everyone to be a little safer by having it in the glovebox for the dead battery/door lock eventuality. Trying to save a window too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, indeed it would be easier. Sadly though, it has been thirty years since I was small enough to get through a hole that size. So for the more dimensionally challenged among us, the question remains: OBDII or accessory port?

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Is the folding center seat-back standard equipment on the G8? If so, wouldn't it be easier to pull the emergency trunk release handle and exit through the trunk? Of course, such would be more difficult to accomplish if the trunk were full and presume much is contingent on an individual's arm length/strength, girth, and a whole other slew of variables. Regarding the original question, have not even the slightest idea.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Are there that many cars these days you can't manually unlock from the inside?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Are you sure the door won't unlock from the inside without power?

I thought it would!
It does as every year a put my car in storage & can unlock from the inside with no battery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On an OBDII system can you power up the car enough to unlock the door through the accessory port using a battery "jumping" device that has a cigarette lighter power out? Or must you connect it through the OBDII port? I'm thinking of giving my daughters one of these for Christmas for this purpose. I am aware that you cannot actually jump the car with one. Just wanting everyone to be a little safer by having it in the glovebox for the dead battery/door lock eventuality. Trying to save a window too.
Ok, I'm not sure what you're getting at? I almost feel as if this is a dumb blonde joke! If its in the glovebox, how does that save a window? You can always unlock the car with the key on the drivers side and then manually unlock all other doors. You probably could use one of those jump things to pop the trunk I suppose. I would use the cigarette lighter/12v accessory port (would have to have the key on to work) rather than the OBDII port though, but either one would work since all you're doing is back feeding power to the trunk release solenoid, but I have never seen anything that would plug in to that port to do so.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Presumed such regarding the door locks, but have never tried to unlock one manually from the inside with a disconnected nor discharged battery. Would think the NTSB has some sort of provision requiring most vehicles to have a way for trapped passengers to "free" themselves. The lone exception would be if the child safety latches were engaged on either/both rear doors.

·
Vendor
400 Posts
Most cars today will unlock automatically if you pull the handle. So you pull once to unlock and then again to open it. I can't remember if my G8 did buy I know my SS does

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Can you imagine the lawsuit when someone can't get out of the car after an accident that disables the battery?

Our door locks have a mechanical linkage and do not need power to unlock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts