Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second battery. I can't remember what the brand is, but middle of the road autoparts store. It's about 4 years old. We're in the cold rainy season so I haven't driven her much and I'm a few days away from putting her up for the winter. I haven't driven the car in about 10 days. Today is nice and sunny so I go to start it and it's dead as ****. I have to manually unlock the door. I try to star anyhow and then the key wont come out of the ignition! wtf kind of feature is that and why? So I manually lock the car with my spare (thank god for that).

Isn't 10 days way to short for a totally dead battery? I notice that even after 3 or 4 days I get a struggled start. I can go weeks not driving my silverado in the summer and it fires right up. And no, nothing was left on. I even keep the battery on a tender over the winter to preserve life.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
4 yr old/mid quality battery - l would bet it’s done. The key is stuck until you get some juice into the system. Pretty common, don’t know why they set it up that way.

Come to think of it, I had to change my battery around the 3 yr mark (2012) when there was a rash of G8 factory batteries dying. So my Walmart/3yr battery is 6! Still starts great even when sitting for a month but I may be pushing my luck. Same for my 2008 Nissan truck but I got a new battery for it last winter as it gets parked outside.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk. I've gotten a lot more than 4 years out of most batteries. maybe so. still think the key feature is stupid.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, the whole battery situation is quite frustrating. Between not being able to open the trunk manually, and the key getting held in the ignition. ugh.

That said, I just got a new duralast platinum AGM battery (similar to optima). Fit great, and miles better than the one I had before.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The key getting held in the ignition is the interlock solenoid that prevents removing the key in any gear but park. If the battery is dead, the solenoid doesn't work and won't let you remove the key. Used to be a cable operated system but a solenoid system is probably cheaper to make and install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, the whole battery situation is quite frustrating. Between not being able to open the trunk manually, and the key getting held in the ignition. ugh.

That said, I just got a new duralast platinum AGM battery (similar to optima). Fit great, and miles better than the one I had before.
Hmm, in this situation, can you use the trunk release button in the glovebox? Or does that not work with dead battery?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Battery can have enough juice to pop the trunk but not enough to crank the engine. Depends on much it's discharged.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hmm, in this situation, can you use the trunk release button in the glovebox? Or does that not work with dead battery?
Yeah, as mentioned, depends how dead it is.

The more frustrating aspect is if you're working on the car and unhook the battery and close the trunk on accident. Have fun crawling in through the opening in the back seat.

·
Registered
187 Posts

The more frustrating aspect is if you're working on the car and unhook the battery and close the trunk on accident. Have fun crawling in through the opening in the back seat.
Did this exact thing but the trunk safety handle release is within easy reach of the opening so it wasn’t too bad to my pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

this exactly. even more fun if you have a sub and amp there.

Did this exact thing but the trunk safety handle release is within easy reach of the opening so it wasn’t too bad to my pleasant surprise.
yeah i agree that at least they were kind enough to put it right at the opening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts