Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firm believer in replacing battery before she goes......
5 years about right if no issues, IMHO

What has been the most reliable steps to take avoiding ECU issues???

Any good or bad thoughts on brands???

Have heard at Exide is promoting a battery they say has the technology to last effectively 10-15 years:unsure:

Had no idea all of them have got so expensive$$$$$$$$$:oops:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I got an ACDelco AGM battery. I merely did the standard remove & install when mine died, no other steps. It was around 7 or 8 years old, if I remember right.

·
F1rehawk
672 Posts
I disconnect my battery every year before storage. Never had an issue with ECU.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
AGM was stock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the input, previous owner did not give me an exact year he replaced, hoping to find a date code.
Delco AGM seems to be designed to live longer (y)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My factory battery was made in Italy and died around 3 yrs along with a bunch of other G8s. So if it was AGM, it was a piece of crap. The cheapo Walmart battery is still going strong 7 yrs later but I better replace it.

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
Purchased a standard battery from Wal-Mart and with minimal usage it took a dump just outside of the free two-year replacement warranty. Perhaps it was merely an anomaly, but was uwilling to "roll the dice" again. Instead, brought a NAPA agm battery and thus far it seems to be cutting the mustard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think two things can help when first buying a battery. First, make sure it has a good date code and that it hasn’t been sitting on the shelf for more than a few months. Second, fully charge it up before you install it. I have been very surprised at finding old batteries even in high turn over places like sams club. If your car is not a daily driver a battery tender also is a must.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think two things can help when first buying a battery. First, make sure it has a good date code and that it hasn’t been sitting on the shelf for more than a few months. Second, fully charge it up before you install it. I have been very surprised at finding old batteries even in high turn over places like sams club. If your car is not a daily driver a battery tender also is a must.
Good advise, The date code on the battery does not affect the warranty period, only the overall life span.
I have been hesitant to buy a dated battery.......

If in doubt have the retailer check the battery voltage and test before purchase (y) (n)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thought on choosing a Battery...... :unsure: .
With it being mounted in the trunk has a very long run. That is challenging task for any electrical system.
Plus all the cars electronics and accessories add to the load.

Consider replacing with the best(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Have heard at Exide is promoting a battery they say has the technology to last effectively 10-15 years:unsure:

AC Delco has a great warranty!!! I just got a 5 year old AC Delco battery replaced by the Chevy dealer for free, no questions asked. They didn't even test it when I carried in to the parts Dept., they just handed me a brand new 84 month battery.

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
Interesting since it could always be something electrical i.e. the alternator draining/inadequately recharging the battery. Have gone to places that test the battery, exchanged/replaced it on good faith, but made it clear if it happens again then it's probably not the battery. Either way, a no questions asked free replacement on a five year old battery is a pretty darn good deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I bought a new battery two and a half years ago and have had no issues.
Interstate MTP-94R/H7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts