Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to start my car today and she wouldn't start. Turned the key and it went "click click" and wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows, fan, headlights, etc, all worked but she wouldn't turn over. I hooked it up to jumper cables and it immediately started up. Drove it, let it run for a while, turned it off and 15 minutes later............dead again. Hooked it up to jumpers again and she fired right up. 10 mins later............dead again.

In engineering mode, the battery says 0.0% charge. Im confused because everything in the car is working, radio, lights, etc. Also, when I tried to get into engineering mode, the dash board went crazy......"ABS fault", "stability control off" flashing............etc.

Im pretty sure its the battery as its the stock battery still and its 4-5 years old, I've just never seen a car have a dead battery but still have accessories work. Is it just that there isn't enough juice to start the car??

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
545 Posts
It takes a certain amount of voltage to make the fuel pump work. Accessories don't require much voltage to work.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense.............any suggestions on battery brand?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not a clue, not sure it matters either. I've ran Walmart specials for a couple of yrs with no problems .. but you might want to try a drag batt. You could save 10-20# & maybe gain a little @the the track

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Wal-mart ones aren't bad and the warranties are pretty good and simple.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Good luck with your issue man. Hope its a quick fix. Maybe alternator not charging the battery ?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'll bet its the battery. Mine died in December and based on the number of posts, 2012 was heavy with dead batteries since it was the 3/4 year mark for G8s. So if you still have the original battery, look out.

Walmart ($120) even tested mine and said it was still good but given my 2008 Nissan truck battery also died around 3 years I knew this is the crap they are putting in nowadays.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Its the battery. I just had mine changed in March when I got home. I got mine from the dealer for around 200 bucks. I'm sure they are cheaper elsewhere though.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I am pretty much certain is the battery. When they get old the batteries does not accumulate enough energy and when you need it there are not enough Watts to move the starter. A Watt = Voltage x Amps. You can have the 12 Volts need it to tuns all low power accessories like Radio, Lights, Fan etc but the Starter is a power hungry device. I bet if you jump the car will start just fine and might work fine all day because the battery is just "borderline" dead. Usually the 1st tell tale signs of a battery going bad is the way the starter sounds. They start to sound like they are moving some heavy and take few more turns to start the engine. The life expectancy of any car battery is about 5 years; beyond that is just added bonus. If the battery has a Tender can last up to 10 or more years.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I should have a new battery Monday or Tuesday. Im pretty sure its the battery though and I think its been dying for a while. When I hooked it up to the jumper cables, it fired up instantly and to be honest............it hasn't started that easily in a long time. Also, per my gauge, the alternator is kicking out 14.4 volts while its running. The battery just isn't accepting a charge. Adding to a dying battery is that I don't drive the car very often. 500 miles since October of 2012. (She doesn't see the snow.)

After the car ran for 10-15 minutes, it would start if you shut it of then immediately restarted it. If I left the car turned off for 15 minutes and then tried to restart............it wouldn't start.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Knowing my luck. i just purchased $1200 in parts for the g8. My battery will die tomorrow.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New battery in............fired right up. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you are on a very tight budget you can take the battery to Auto Zone for a free load test. That is also the only way to know for sure if the Battery is going bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.