Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday morning, I saw an ad for 2" headers. I muttered that I would like to have a pair, to replace my 1-7/8" Kooks. LSAs need to breathe, ya know?

So, I decided to clean up.the car. Needed an engine wash, so headed over to the local coin op. Got it nice and clean, fired it up. A quick rev, put it in Drive, then it sputtered and died! I've washed the engine bay many times with no such ill effect. I mean, no power to anything
Put it back into Park, restarted no problem. Drove off. Got a 1/4 mile down the road, on a two lane, turned up a hill, it died again. Came back, put the 4-ways on, blocking traffic....then the smoke appeared.

F&*K! MY CAR IS ON FIRE!!

Popped the hood, saw the flames down by the driver's side header. Started blowing, got it out, then it reignited! I start screaming if anyone had any water, thought for a moment about pissing on it, then remembered I had a small bottle in the car. Grabbed it, put out the flames, called the police to come help with traffic so I could get out of the way, then AAA for a tow. Borrowed a Leatherman from the cop to disco the battery, after I coasted it back down the hill, thru the intersection, and safely into a driveway.

The battery cable coming up to the under hood post was against the header, and burned through, shorting the battery out. Apparently the plastic hold down failed, allowing the cable to get up against the header.
Got it home, (AAA driver knew all about G8s), tied off the cable, reconnected the battery, and it fired right up...

...BUT...

...it actually burned a hole in the header primary tube! I'll patch it up better tomorrow, but 2" headers, here I come!!

Now, to change my shorts....

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
What brand headers? Kooks or ARH 1 7/8 > Chinese 2" garbage.
I have to agree on this. I almost had my arms chopped off because of some Chinese made crap jack pads I used while rotating my tires. Now I got some jack pads that cost 5 times more than the Chinese crap ones. But at least I don't have to worry about losing my arms.

·
F1rehawk
626 Posts
In the car industry, you always get what you pay for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
GTRenegade911
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing