Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. Need help with this issue. When driving at 45mph and bearing left I get a vibration. Sounds and feels like it's coming from the rear. When straighten out the vibration goes away and car drives smooth. Does not happen when driving 45mph and bearing to the right. Help.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Few questions. Bearing left as in turning left? Last alignment? Tire pressure? Can try swapping the rear tires to see if the vibration moves to the other side.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bearing left as going around a bend. Alignment was done 3 weeks ago. Going to check rear wheel bearings and replace rear tires. Thanks again PONY MAN.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Did the vibration start after or before the alignment? If a square setup, can swap the left front and rear tires as well to see if the vibration travels. Have a vibration in the daily driver albeit when coming to a complete stop. It's always something and will always be something.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vibration was there before the alignment. Did the alignment after installing front sway bar links and car was slightly pulling to the left. The rear tires need replacing. Had them on the front and just had the tires rotated. Now their on the rear. Could be tires like you said so, going to replace them soon and check rear wheel bearings. Weird that the vibration only happens like I said when bearing left at 45mph.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Not weird. Exactly the way you find a bad hearing/hub on a fwd - vibration on the expressway ramps.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
623 Posts
Could be a bearing going bad in the rear. Just a friendly reminder...alignments do not fix shakes, vibrations or shimmies. Tires are the most common culprit. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Very well. You're welcome

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
984 Posts
You know, this is pretty awesome.

I joined the forum over a year ago when I bought my GT and asked lots of questions like Louj here.

I have been following along with the many posts from Louj and it is incredible the amount of knowledge and support he, as well as I previously have received.

Cudos to all of you for assisting the forum members!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree Oldpoop55. I guess we're all in the same boat somewhat when owning the same vehicle. I couldn't have done it without all of you. Many many thanks to you all.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
623 Posts
Very common for the bad bearing to be on the opposite side you hear/feel the problem. Those press into the knuckle. Fun times await... 😄

Reactions: BAS G8 and 95wagon

·
Registered
863 Posts
opposite side you hear/feel the problem
Oh how true!
I was in the industry as you are and got caught a couple times.
I think the change to large + offsets from 0 and - ofsets has something to do with it.
At rest and striaght line driving the bearings don't load the same as older cars.
We would get into bets in the shop on some cars that the bearing wasn't obvious.
Got to the point that we would take out a cartridge type with great care because if we were wrong it might be going back in or in the other side.
Pressed in bearings we ended up buying the customer the other side as we ruined a perfectly good bearing with misdiagnosis.
To those thinking it should be obvious,
Some bearings can have the smallest pit that does not line up all the time, the bearings are tight and smooth to check.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Merely out of curiosity, which brand of bearing are you using?

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Neither here nor there albeit Timken and National are typically pretty good. Looked at the price of General Motors and they're over doubled the price of a National wheel bearing. National is a Federal-Mogul company. Did the shop recommend replacing both rear wheel bearings?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts