Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for headers, really want to get a 3' inch headers . I bought my car with a mid muffler delete or resonator not sure the rest is completely stock . Looks to be a 3 inch straight pipe but I still have my cats ! So I was wondering if I could possible get away with buying just the headers, also want to go catless . Really need options without breaking the bank, would like to stay around 1300$ .

·
every village has one
2,170 Posts
Stock system is not 3”. If you still have the factory cats, just getting rid of them will make a big difference. You’ll be amazed at how small the passage is. $1300 May be a little optimistic though. Watch for used. In any event, save up and do it right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I'm in the market for headers, really want to get a 3' inch headers . I bought my car with a mid muffler delete or resonator not sure the rest is completely stock . Looks to be a 3 inch straight pipe but I still have my cats ! So I was wondering if I could possible get away with buying just the headers, also want to go catless . Really need options without breaking the bank, would like to stay around 1300$ .
Like what was said earlier, the stock piping isn't 3". It's actually 2.25". Sounds like what you want is a Kooks Long Tubes with the Solo catless connection. That'll bolt right up to the stock catback and it'll be right around the price range you're looking for. If you eventually want more loud, I'd recommend replacing your hacked up exhaust set up with a 3" Solo Street Race kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock system is not 3”. If you still have the factory cats, just getting rid of them will make a big difference. You’ll be amazed at how small the passage is. $1300 May be a little optimistic though. Watch for used. In any event, save up and do it right.
So where the mid muffler used to be the previous owner put 3 inch straight pipes does that clear up anything ? I assume they're 3 inch because of how much bigger the pipes its welded to on the stock exaughst

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will replacing the stock mid muffler with a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler help both sound and performance ? I think it’s 11385 the one I was looking at. 2.25 in and out. Thanks

·
F1rehawk
766 Posts
Will replacing the stock mid muffler with a Magnaflow Tru-X muffler help both sound and performance ? I think it’s 11385 the one I was looking at. 2.25 in and out. Thanks
Sound...probably. Performance...not really. The exhaust system is not that restrictive on the G8.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So where the mid muffler used to be the previous owner put 3 inch straight pipes does that clear up anything ? I assume they're 3 inch because of how much bigger the pipes its welded to on the stock exaughst
You sure you're just not looking at the resonators? They sit just behind the mid muffler. Sounds to me like they lopped off the mid muffler, replaced it with straight pipe and left the resonators on.

Sound...probably. Performance...not really. The exhaust system is not that restrictive on the G8.
Right the only real HP choke points are the stock cats and manifolds. You want HP gains, replace them with a set of headers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure you're just not looking at the resonators? They sit just behind the mid muffler. Sounds to me like they lopped off the mid muffler, replaced it with straight pipe and left the resonators on.

Yeah I'm postive

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yuck. I'd chuck that whole set up for a cat back system. That looks like a sleeve pipe to bridge the gap left by the muffler and resonators. I wouldn't trust something like that long term. Last thing you want is a shitty weld job fail on you on the road.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have 1300 right now to throw at exhaust. Start looking for a used set of 1 7/8 kooks or equivalent. You really cant beat kooks though. There was a China sold unit that looked exactly like kooks. For a solid system kooks long tubes and mid pipe into
What ever muffler you wont will not disappoint.
When I got my parts I just bought them in stages and installed all at once.
I did get my headers coated by a local shop 10 years ago and they still look the same.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On another thought though if you really want 3 inch. You need to check through threads if it would actually fit through tunnel area.
Pacesetter headers can be had for under 350$ they have 3 inch collector output. You would have to get with a good exhaust shop that can fit everything under car. Dont know of any after market that have a 3 inch muffler for a g8. You'd have to custom that as well.
Sounds like your homework has just begun. Horse power bug bits and you always want more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couple months ago I bought new Kooks and a Borla cat back along with a pair of V bands for right at $2500.00

I did the V band install and hung everything. Headers were $1100- $1200 I do believe. Dont have the receipt in front of me.

There are cheaper sets out there. I like Kooks. I've had 3 sets now on various cars. Never any trouble and some have been on since 2007.

Hope this helps.

·
F1rehawk
766 Posts
With Kooks you buy quality and peace of mind. Worth the money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I really like my stainless works setup but I think if doing again just for the cost I would do used kooks with solo mid pipe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts