Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old school muscle car was just read ended by an 18-wheeler while being transported to me. My cousin talked me into getting a G8. He said it would give me that muscle car feel like my classic but designed for a family. Im looking on Craigslist and I notice the V6 is half of the price of the V8. I don't plan on racing or anything. I'm thinking I could buy the V6 and spend the extra money add custom features to it plus add something like a can or something to give me a little more power. I'm not trying to make a v6 a v8, but maybe somewhere in between for less money than a v8. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personal opinion inbound: the v6 is in no shape or form a muscle car, no matter how much parts you throw at it. On the other hand, the 364cui V8 that comes in a GT with a cam and exhaust will rock you at a stoplight just as well as they used to except now there are heated leather seats and somewhat of a fuel economy. Not to bash the v6 G8, it's a great family commuter car but it will never replicate the feeling of a hot rod. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
There just aren't the options available for the V6 engine that there are for the V8 GT's or GXP's engine wise.
I've left my V6 bone stock.
For me, personally, the cost verses HP gained wasn't justified.
Thought about swapping up to a V8 but I just like this V6 too much.
Good hunting. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Does the V6 get better gas mileage?
Barely. Would you give up 110 horsepower to gain 1 mpg though?
Yup, only 1mpg gain on the highway between V6 and V8 GT.

No real performance options for the V6, no one has done cams to my knowledge, there's only a couple tunes available. No real rooting around the engine.

You're better off with a V8 GT, and go from there. Cheaper to mod, easier to mod, and better out of the box.

There's other considerations when choosing between V6 and V8. V8 has the Sound package as standard (with better infotainment/climate controls). V6 had that as an option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The insurance company is only giving 7k plus 2 I already got. I doubt I could get a v8 for the amount so V6 it is

·
every village has one
2,170 Posts
The insurance company is only giving 7k plus 2 I already got. I doubt I could get a v8 for the amount so V6 it is
Save your money and wait for a GT. The v6 isn't going to do it for you in the long run, and you're going to wish you had the 8.
No disrespect for the V6, we're all in it together, but performance options are limited.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just to add to your torment, back in 09 when looking for a G8 I was considering a v6. The wife said "What? Are you nuts!"

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
At least you are being fairly realistic.... I know about a guy who wants to make his V6 into a GT killer. I told that he needs to get a Limited Slip Diff before any hope of that becoming a reality. At least, Overkill is out there for V6 tuning for the trans and motor to enhance the V6 in a realistic way. We have a guy in OGOC who is doing it right. I will go to Overkill for a v6 tune on our 2015 Durango when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but here is a GT for sale for $9000 from the original owner: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6098547773.html. It appears to have some flaws, and has 158k miles on it.

I got mine just a few months ago with 149k on it. Runs perfect, interior looks new, exterior is 8/10. Came with aftermarket wheels. I paid $10,500.

Just saying... you might be able to get one in your price range.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
At least you are being fairly realistic.... I know about a guy who wants to make his V6 into a GT killer. I told that he needs to get a Limited Slip Diff before any hope of that becoming a reality. At least, Overkill is out there for V6 tuning for the trans and motor to enhance the V6 in a realistic way. We have a guy in OGOC who is doing it right. I will go to Overkill for a v6 tune on our 2015 Durango when the warranty runs out.
I assume your talking about me Frank.
If so my V6 is pretty quick with what Ive done to mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
V8, with the right tune, will get better gas mileage than the V6, and being an LS variant there are many more options for tunes, upgrades, etc. as previously mentioned. Also, the V6 is very limited to brand name aftermarket parts as far as it goes for engine upgrades with not much bang for your buck. Depending on your budget you could pursue Turbos or Supercharger but not much is available out there and at that point you might as well have gotten a V8.

Being a V6 owner I am still in love with my G8, but it is definitely more show than go. It still has the potential to hit 120-130 no problem, and get a lil sideways (on wet/snowy roads with stock 245/45r18 tires). But I'm not entirely sure if the V6 will be able to really replace your muscle car if it was a V8.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Believe what you want
I got numbers to prove you can get a fair bit out of the V6 if its done properly. Example stock 0-60 is 6.3 I believe and I have mine at 5.8 0-60.
Also its not always the car, If you know how to drive thats a big factor.
I am just amazed how alot of V8 guys just love to trash us V6s.
A G8 is a G8 and in our club no matter what G8 you have we always welcome everyone.

And yes the big thing holding back the V6 is the Trans.

So believe what you want, my V6 can take out any other G8 V6 and I have proven that over and over again.
On the track I have passed V8s so a good driver mod is needed.

Just my 2 cents!!!:x

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I got numbers to prove you can get a fair bit out of the V6 if its done properly. Example stock 0-60 is 6.3 I believe and I have mine at 5.8 0-60.
Also its not always the car, If you know how to drive thats a big factor.
I am just amazed how alot of V8 guys just love to trash us V6s.
A G8 is a G8 and in our club no matter what G8 you have we always welcome everyone.

And yes the big thing holding back the V6 is the Trans.

So believe what you want, my V6 can take out any other G8 V6 and I have proven that over and over again.
On the track I have passed V8s so a good driver mod is needed.

Just my 2 cents!!!:x
wait, you have the numbers to prove you can then you said I believe? Who are you trying to bull****?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts