Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok bought a catch can from BP because he listed one for our cars. Didn't think it would catch any real oil until I add a Maggie on my GXP. Blown away when I looked into the can and saw this after 2 weeks of normal driving back and forth to work. And my car only has 30k miles. Definitely a believer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
It'll vary on how much you get. I normally get about what's pictured as well, once I was surprised to find nearly half the can full.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Love my UPR. After a few weeks of driving I usually have about a teaspoon worth. Def worth the 100 bucks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Put one on my GXP the day I bought it. These things WORK!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I checked mine for the first time the other day. I have driven about 1000 miles since installation and it looked like about 1 teaspoon of oil in it. Def good it doesnt get in my intake.

·
GXPanther
831 Posts
I had a BP catch and it work great, made a believe of me as well.

then I added a maggie and things went south. I was filling up the BP catch can every 100 miles and then slurping up lots of extra oil. something strange with the pressure in my heads was pushing extra oil through the catch can. I could not find a single instance of anyone else with this problem.

I upgraded to the the RX catch can with PVC valves to prevent excess oil from circulating and valve cover breather. problem solved.

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you mention the issue with the Maggie. I was looking into if gm designed the LSA and LS9 pcv systems any different than my ls3 since their supercharged. Didn't seem much different unless they used a different valley cover. Then read thru Magnusens instructions and noticed they just used the drivers side rear pcv/breather tube to run the pcv system. This is the same breather that gm had problems with on the ls1 and ls2 and eventually plugged and went with the valley cover because that breather was sucking to much oil vapor from the rockers. So your probably not alone just most of the guys installing Maggie's aren't running a catch can. Am curious what rx uses in their can if its a inline pcv or some sort of check valve.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yeah, I don't get why people claim that these don't work. They do work and if you don't want to ingest oil, then you need one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
OGOC Member
773 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance... clearly the catch can catches oil, but from where?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Catch cans are a great addition for the LS motor, im on my second one, use the Norris catch can

·
Registered
494 Posts
Given how much it catches, I sometimes wonder if I need a second one. Some folks make their own out I'd an air line filter for an air compressor. I bet that works well.

·
OGOC Member
773 Posts
Its the oil vapor that the PCV system pulls from the crank case.
Thanks, got it. So, if you don't have a catch can, where is this oil/vapor going and what harm is it doing (in other words, what's the benefit of having the catch can)?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ok, dumb question (maybe): Obviously the catch can works, but would it be beneficial to pour the oil back into the engine so you dont "run low"? Or do you disguard it all together?

EDIT: Just bought a UPR catch can off ebay

·
every village has one
2,379 Posts
Funny you mention the issue with the Maggie. I was looking into if gm designed the LSA and LS9 pcv systems any different than my ls3 since their supercharged. Didn't seem much different unless they used a different valley cover. Then read thru Magnusens instructions and noticed they just used the drivers side rear pcv/breather tube to run the pcv system. This is the same breather that gm had problems with on the ls1 and ls2 and eventually plugged and went with the valley cover because that breather was sucking to much oil vapor from the rockers. So your probably not alone just most of the guys installing Maggie's aren't running a catch can. Am curious what rx uses in their can if its a inline pcv or some sort of check valve.
RX runs a PCV/ check valve in their catch can. Still routes from the driver's side valve cover to the can to a port on the Maggie. The RX can is a nice piece, a bit larger than most, but very well made and has a petcock drain on the bottom. Might take a little longer to get, but worth the wait.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts