Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time. It is way PAST time LOL! Even though the car is for sale, I really need to put tires on it. I got 30,000 from the original Potenzas and they served me well. I am partial to keeping car parts OEM. I do realize these are not a popular choice. Is it mainly the price? Certainly can get good tires for less.

I am seriously considering not selling this car so, whatever tires I put on, I will do so as if they are for me.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you put a quality tire like the RE050s back on, that would certainly be a postive selling point. They aren't cheap. Nice tire but the UTOG isn't great but it's a performance summer only tire. It's to be expected I guess.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I had a few autocross sessions on them. They handled pretty well, but the 245 tire size put my pretty much in the last 10 of the group. I was use to being in the top 10 in my M3 so it was quite a shock to say the least. Other than tire size, I think they were a pretty good first tire. IIRC though, they are around 550/tire? in price or so? There are just so many better options at the higher price point. I'd personally buy the Toyos Proxes T1 Sport I am currently using or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (not the PS2). Both tires are cheaper (again IIRC), last just as long, and handle better. You could do the future owner a favor and buy 255s instead of 245.

·
Registered
468 Posts
IMHO, advertise the car as having new tires, and ask the new owner which reasonably priced tires he wants you to put on the car. If doing it beforehand, whatever you put on it somebody is not going to be happy with, especially if it's something from a 2nd tear tire manufacturer or not the OEM specs (in reference to the 255 suggestion).

If you do want to already have new tires on the car by the time someone looks at it, I would go with OEM size and a first tear manufacturer budget performance tire. Something like Bridgestone RE760.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice here. Thank you. Been seeing the Potenzas for about $330 per. I am "ok" with the price, but it is hard to resist some other choices for the money or even less. I suppose I should give some others an honest look.
Surprised about the flats. I have not had a single tire-related issue in 30,000 miles.

·
The Mustang dude
1,438 Posts
I loved the OEMs... price is the only factor why I didnt replace them. Running Hankook V12s now... not bad IMO. But nowhere near the capability of the Potenzas.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Just put hankooks on and be done w/ it. While the Potenzas are marginally better in a straight line, I think the hankooks are better cornering, and they're nearly 1/2 price. Fughetaboutit

·
Registered
141 Posts
IMHO, advertise the car as having new tires, and ask the new owner which reasonably priced tires he wants you to put on the car. If doing it beforehand, whatever you put on it somebody is not going to be happy with, especially if it's something from a 2nd tear tire manufacturer or not the OEM specs (in reference to the 255 suggestion).

If you do want to already have new tires on the car by the time someone looks at it, I would go with OEM size and a first tear manufacturer budget performance tire. Something like Bridgestone RE760.
I have 760's on my car and love the **** out of them. They are not a great traction tire, but they are very fun, last a long time and don't break the bank on replacement.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts
The RE050s wore well for me...like others, the price to replace seemed high...even higher than the new Michelin Pilot SS. I ended up going with the Michelins. At first liked the RE050 better but after a few hundred miles I warmed up to the Michelins.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love the re50s, and have 33K on mine, a new set in the garage and a pair of 275 re50s for the rear for in town driving.

No tire is immune from flats. I have pulled nails/screws from many tires...mainly the passenger side as they ride in the curb/gutter areas more often.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The RE050s wore well for me...like others, the price to replace seemed high...even higher than the new Michelin Pilot SS. I ended up going with the Michelins. At first liked the RE050 better but after a few hundred miles I warmed up to the Michelins.
I went with the Michelin's as well. Still not cheap comaprerd to some other tires. I haven't noticed any real traction difference and the Michelin's are much quieter on the road to me

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Main reason I think people choose other tires as replacement is price & climate.

Potenza's are an excellent tire *if* you only drive in the summer, or live in a warm climate.

I actually just put Potenzas back on my 18" OEM Wheels, because I found a great deal on craigslist.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After doing some reading and comparing, I have a hard time passing up the Michelin Pilot SS. From what I see, it looks to be every bit as good as the Potenza, and maybe a little quieter and smoother. They aint cheap, but not much different than the Potenzas.

I laugh because I really do like the look of the sidewall of the Potenzas. but I suppose I can live with the SS ;)

Regarding the reference above to go 255, I usually buy one size up whenever replacing stock tires. My question is, what would be the difference that I might notice bumping up that little bit? I assume there is no rub issue with stock suspension.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dang... Are Eagle GT's that bad? They are about $100 less per tire than the Pilot SS and Potenza's... tempting... but they must suck. I don't see them as a regular choice here even for the money.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I miss my Bridgstones :( I miss the smooth and quiet ride those tires had.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am 93% sure I will go with the Pilot SS or the OEM Bridgestone. leaning toward the Pilots...

...but I have another school of thought... maybe go with the Eagle GT's and then not gave a rats butt about tearing them up.... Decisions...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts