Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 G8 GT and am looking for an e-tune that may improve drivability. I have a comp cam, afm delete, and CAI, i dont have many issues but a few things could be improved and help would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Several reputable sources. Livernois performance engineering, Patrick G, Shane Hinds, Rick Crawford (if you can get ahold of him) to name a few that have been active on this forum in the past with plenty of great results.

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
I have a 2008 G8 GT and am looking for an e-tune that may improve drivability. I have a comp cam, afm delete, and CAI, i dont have many issues but a few things could be improved and help would be great.

Thanks!
So you are driving now with the mods you noted, with no tune at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you are driving now with the mods you noted, with no tune at all?
I have hp tuners running with afm delete and afew modifications but mostyl stock tune. I would like to get abit more out of the car and possibly better performance, very little issues with what im currently running, I just believe a few of my numbers could improve but I'm afraid to mess with it myself.

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
Ah, ok. It almost sounded like you had no tune. I just finished a full DOD delete, cam, lifters ect from Livernois.
As GT Envy said they, and several other places offer great service, I am very pleased with my package/tune from Livernois.
I did a package deal which included their own tuner interface for the tune application.
You could contact them to see what they could do for you?
They were very quick and helpful to all of my questions. Depending on your location, maybe you could visit one of the places mentioned, a actual dyno run tune will always be best for driveability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, ok. It almost sounded like you had no tune. I just finished a full DOD delete, cam, lifters ect from Livernois.
As GT Envy said they, and several other places offer great service, I am very pleased with my package/tune from Livernois.
I did a package deal which included their own tuner interface for the tune application.
You could contact them to see what they could do for you?
They were very quick and helpful to all of my questions. Depending on your location, maybe you could visit one of the places mentioned, a actual dyno run tune will always be best for driveability.
definitely not from what i have read they are almost undriveable without a tune from a dod delete

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
Yes, I was wondering how you would even be able to drive it without one:D
Good luck with whatever route you take, I know I thoroughly enjoy driving mine. It is not quite a daily, but it easy could be with the mods and tune I have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I was wondering how you would even be able to drive it without one:D
Good luck with whatever route you take, I know I thoroughly enjoy driving mine. It is not quite a daily, but it easy could be with the mods and tune I have.
what exactly did you get from livernoise?

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
The DOD kit they offer with the 2c camshaft and tune. This is roughly what is in that kit,

Choice of Livernois Motorsports Camshaft
Livernois Motorsports Dual Valve Spring Package (Livernois Motorsports Dual Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Valve Spring Locators, Locks, & Valve Seals)
ARP Head Bolts
MLS Head Gaskets
Powerstorm Hardened Pushrods
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Lifter guide kit
LS2 Valley Cover
Valve Cover Breather Block-Off
LS7 Camshaft Sprocket
Timing Chain Dampner
PCV Hose for Non-DOD applications
Exhaust Gaskets
ARP Timing Chain Bolts

I added new cr5 timing chain, meling HP oil pump, soild trunion kit, CAI, and LT headers.
I also replaced the balancer, it was not wobbling but figured what the heck, it was already off.

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
I spent $2450 with Livernois. That covered everything needed except for the front engine cover gasket, which could be reused.
That DOES include the extras I wanted, new timing chain, new HP oil pump, solid trunion kit, which are not needed but again, you are in there and why not? lol
Does NOT include the LT headers, CAI, or new balancer.

Oh yeah, I did all the work myself. So no expense of labor on that price.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
I went with PATGtuning and Brian Tooley Racing for parts. Got almost the same parts at about the same cost. I am also doing it myself as a virgin. Never taken an engine apart. I hope it all works when done. ..smiles..

I guess it is just who you pick when you make the decision to go forward.

Good luck in your adventure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which
I went with PATGtuning and Brian Tooley Racing for parts. Got almost the same parts at about the same cost. I am also doing it myself as a virgin. Never taken an engine apart. I hope it all works when done. ..smiles..

I guess it is just who you pick when you make the decision to go forward.

Good luck in your adventure.
Which PatG tune did you go with I have a most of these modifications except LT Headers

·
RANDOM VICTIM S.O.B.
131 Posts
You should do fine.
Take some pics of things before you disassemble, just to help jog the memory during reassembling.
I found a couple write ups on this forum that were very beneficial, I watched several YouTube videos which were also very beneficial.
Torque wrenches, inch and foot pounds.
A good impact, electric or air.
A good valve spring compressor, I bought one from bluegrass performance.
I made my own tool for putting the balancer back on, if you want I can give you the info for it.
It was as cheap as what you can find online but definitely better quality.
If I think of anything else important to note I will message you.
Have fun!

Oh yeah, I just remembered, there are several online sources for torque specs, several I found had incorrect specs of foot pounds when it should have been inch pounds.
Double, triple check all of them before tightening.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
FrankenGXP, I just started this. Sent Pat G my base logs and haven't received a tune from him yet. I am still doing the engine work.

ergeoverkill, I started a post a few weeks back when i started this project. A few guys said no way they would try it.

I am loading a ton of pictures to show what I am doing and to your point, to remember how to reassemble it.

Thanks for the tool comments.

The link is here for my rookie attempt if interested.

G8 GT DIY Camshaft Swap

Taking my time so it will start when I am done. ..smiles..

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you’re doing a high lift cam, I would recommend a trunion upgrade. One of my trunions failed after a few years running the 1C cam from Livernois (0.600 lift). It might have been a fluke but fishing needle bearings out from around your valves and oil pan is not fun.
Automotive tire Font Material property Gas House numbering
Textile Sleeve Wood Grey Dress

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I’ll through one up here see what the boys think 620 lift cam, comp cams 650 springs Comp cams gold 1.8 ratio rockers how would that come in price wise instead of trunnion kit for the 1.7’s it would be very expensive for us here but for you guys?

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
300 Posts
My BTR stage 2 cam, .620 lift intake, .630 lift titanium spring kit and Smith Brothers pushrods was $765 US. I purchased it as a kit.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you’re doing a high lift cam, I would recommend a trunion upgrade. One of my trunions failed after a few years running the 1C cam from Livernois (0.600 lift). It might have been a fluke but fishing needle bearings out from around your valves and oil pan is not fun.
View attachment 186119 View attachment 186120
Luckily i did not go high lift just slight upgrade from factory

1 - 20 of 21 Posts