Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone on here actually tested anything on track to see what was better? maybe on mountain runs or autocross even? on my last car, turbo cobalt, i ran stock FE5 front struts with Koni yellow rears and pedders springs with a stock front bar and a powell race shop hardcore bar in the rear and that was as good as you could get short of custom ohlins coilovers supposedly. I've read that the FE3 shocks are pretty decent but I'm not convinced that any of the springs available for the car are matched for them.

I've seen Lovels/King? and Pedders GSR setup and then i've seen people running the H&R springs on FE3 shocks/struts, then there is the BC coilovers but i'm not sure about the dampening on them.

also once the car is lowered do i have to buy new rear lower control arms to "fix" the rear camber or does it actually but enough rear camber in the rear once lowered?

· CCG8 / FLG8
2,166 Posts
I'm biased but I think the best suspension is the Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilovers with their Street bushing kit coupled with their adjustable sway bars. Depending upon how much you lower the car, you may need to add the Pedders alignment kit that has heavy dudy, extended range adjuster bolts for the rear camber and toe as well as adding front caster adjustability. Setting front camber and toe is do-able with the stock adjusters.

· Registered
615 Posts
Sub'd. I just put a great suspension on my turbo Miata. The difference is much more than I imagined. Definitely interested in doing a good suspension on the G8. Looking for feedback from track guys.

G8V8, you've got a nice list of mods. Do you track the car?

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, pretend that the 4k dollar set of supercar coilovers does exist seeing as i will never buy them... what spring and shock package?

· CCG8 / FLG8
2,166 Posts
okay, pretend that the 4k dollar set of supercar coilovers does exist seeing as i will never buy them... what spring and shock package?
I really liked the Pedders GSR dampers with their drop springs. When combined with the right bushing replacement and sway bars, the feel, handling and responsiveness of the G8 was amazing. The stock G8 is undersprung and under damped. In addition, some key suspension connections are made more to reduce noise and vibration than promote great handling.

The first things to do are replace the rear subframe bushings and radius rod bushing followed by the diff bushings. Next do GSR and then sway bars. The difference will be amazing.

If you want height and damping adjustability and can spend a bit more, sub the Pedders xA coilovers for the GSR.

· Registered
284 Posts
Ive got the BMR Total Suspension Bushing Kit, BMR Sways, Subframes, and pedders GSR on their HD springs and mine handles awesome. Huge difference and way less body roll. Other guys that have rode in their stock suspension G8's really notice a huge difference.

· Registered
881 Posts
I have been very happy with the Bilstein and King SL HD setup so far.. Then I added the BMR sways and was really very happy.

I have only tried stock FE3 and this setup so can't speak to others...

Bilstein shocks, King SL HD springs, K-Mac strut bushings Thread

BMR Sway bar kit installed on GXP Thread

I have been autocrossing the stock GXP for 2 year and this year began to make modifications to the car. I have been doing them slowly and testing the results on the courses. The resulting videos can be found in the following thread..

2013 San Diego Autocross videos Thread

· Premium Member
4,860 Posts
from everything I have researched. bilstein shocks are the best setup for the g8, all suspension shops down under say go with bilstein shocks and your choice of springs, unless you can afford $4000-$5000 set of DMShocks coilovers.

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so bilsteins and H&R's with new bushings

· Senior Member Mike
839 Posts
from everything I have researched. bilstein shocks are the best setup for the g8, all suspension shops down under say go with bilstein shocks and your choice of springs, unless you can afford $4000-$5000 set of DMShocks coilovers.

Hey Matt...is that what you finally decided on?

Are Bilsteins inserts or full out replaceable struts/shocks?

· Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I still just have my fe3 struts and eibach springs, until these wear out i think im sticking with them or until something different comes out.

I think you have to contact someone down under to get the bilstiens as NA has no product listing for them.

They are weld in in the stock front struts kinda like the konis, except the konis are bolt in from the bottom, but the bilstiens weld to the top collar.

I believe the bilstiens are inverted shaft type design which is not adjustable. Also the rears are very simple replacement like the konis

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why cant they make a freaking bolt in replacement. the whole cutting up your stock stuff is the whole rason i never did konis on the front of my cobalt either... i guess i'm sticking with stock fe3 shocks for the time being... i might order some H&R today and a few bushings from BMR

· HeapBlaster
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pedders i would run but by that point i'm back to coilover prices.

· Its Good To Be Tha King
10,673 Posts
Pedders i would run but by that point i'm back to coilover prices.
Pedders runs sales sometimes....keep an eye open around holidays.

I got all my Pedders stuff on a killer deal....in fact, I should have bought double at that price.

· Registered
3,138 Posts
I really liked the Pedders GSR dampers with their drop springs. When combined with the right bushing replacement and sway bars, the feel, handling and responsiveness of the G8 was amazing. The stock G8 is undersprung and under damped. In addition, some key suspension connections are made more to reduce noise and vibration than promote great handling.

The first things to do are replace the rear subframe bushings and radius rod bushing followed by the diff bushings. Next do GSR and then sway bars. The difference will be amazing.

If you want height and damping adjustability and can spend a bit more, sub the Pedders xA coilovers for the GSR.
For the price XA's are the way to go, absolutely transform the car from a wallowing pig to a capable machine. Bushings as you stated also help a good bit!

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Not sure what you chose or went with but I'm very happy with my Monroe GT Sport shocks and Eibach springs. I know, I know, monroe's are what you find on your 1972 Ford Maverick because they cost $14.99....BUT these Monroes were designed for the Holden Commodore, they are a Mono-Tube design with great valving. They cost $729 for all 4 and I haven't seen one complaint here on the board about them. Ride is firmer and smoother than stock with better control. They don't float at high speed or have abrupt characteristics limiting adhesion during compression. I have professionally raced and instructed and you can't beat these shocks for the money. The next step up would be the Bilsteins which are fantastic for a street set-up as well.
Good luck.

· Registered
336 Posts
I agree. Eibach with BMR sways, fe3 and important bushings here. The only part I would want to change is the fe3. Monroe GT would be on there if I wasn't cheap... Got new fe3's for free.

I like the fe3. They ride great and handle well, but I feel the gt's would be that last 10%. They would control the stiffer springs, sways and body a bit better, but maybe not $300 better. I would have to drive them to know for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.