Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 GT, Phantom Black Metallic, with the performance pkg & 58k miles. I have done a CAI & custom exhaust. I'm looking to see what will get me the most performance for the money (besides the obvious, notorious, super & turbo chargers). I am lucky enough that it is not my daily driver, so mpg is not that big of a concern. I'm sick of loosing races to my buddies '06 Lexus IS350 (much lighter car & factory 4.10 geaurs). I'm not a mechanic by any means, but my preferrence would be to do the work myself if possible, I'm not expecting miracles for the money, just to at least keep up. I have thought about computer upgrades, but not confident they work all that well. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! :driving:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think the best/well rounded set up is headers/tune. These will change car completely. I also plan to do gears, wider rims/dedicated summer tires, and suspension mods. Find your ultimate goal and work towards it!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Headers and a tune would be a good start. Or just a converter and a tune.

Or headers, converter, and a tune.

Or a cam and a tune

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
stall converter! best bang for your $ dops about a full second with traction. just my two cents

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
A good tune alone will wake the car up beyond all belief. The G8 GT's are so "dumbed" down from the factory, there's MANY ponies to be had with a few clicks of the mouse.

The other answers were solid advice. A good set of headers, stall, 3.91 gear and a tune would transform that car into a totally different one. It'd actually feel like a performance vehicle rather than a 4000lb land barge.

And yes, I said 3.91's. The A6 transmissions leave a TON of room for aggressive gearing. I install 7-10 sets of 3.91's per year in G8's and everyone loves them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cam and tune, followed by gears...

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is your budget? Dollar per HP, nothing beats nitrous. especially if its a weekend cruiser. but if your looking for permanent power, start with headers and a tune. what are your future goals for the car as well, they could help decide what to do now...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gears and a tune IMO. Also, its Panther Black Metallic, phantom black was used on G6s and GTOs :)

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Just guessing, but since you are losing to a IS350, you must be roll racing. Gears, headers and a tune. A stall will be a waste of money since you are likely not dig racing.
I'd recommend the tune first. You already have some supporting mods, and the tune will really wake it up. I'd even bet you will pull even with just a tune. The trans tunes that the factory uses are crap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is some mixed reviews about the IS350..seems like the trap speed is around 98-104(car n driver highest trap..)..I dont know why youre losing since the G8 GT is really in the same range, I guess youre racing at a not ideal speed for the G8 gearing. A lightly modded IS would be around 104mph, from what I found on the web quickly.

I would say that with a tune only, you should easily spank the IS350

·
Registered
190 Posts
1. A full exhaust cat delete if possible
2. 32-3600 stall
3. Camaro SS 345 rear
4. Ported or a fast 102 intake
5. A respected tune with an HP tuner
6. Drag radials/rims
This list can be done for under 4,000 and you WILL be in the 12 teens
This is exactly what I have done

Stock bolt on G8 GT record MIR 12/17/12
1/4 ml. 1.66 60' 11.95 @ 112.5MPH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RWaSOivJE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
1. - TUNE - custom, after the rest of the mods below are installed
2. - headers

Really these 2 alone you will crush that IS350, but....
3. - stall, for an A6 car, particularly a heavy one, this will be a HUGE game changer, but will hurt MPG's and DD ability
4. - you could forgo at torque converter for some gears (or do both for added benefit) camaro 3.40s will give you a nice bump in torque off the line and won't hurt mileage too bad, will be better choice than stall if its a DD

You will be driving a different car w/ 3 out of 4 of these mods, add all 4 together and you will have a beast for less than $3,500

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Like others have said, the best bang for the buck on these cars is a tune.

-Mail ordered from vendors like Livernois or Vector

-Custom Dyno from your local speed shop <---- Best Option

·
Registered
933 Posts
+1 for tune... totally changes performance, 'specially when tuned for 93 octane. Trans shift points are changed also which makes a HUGE difference in the feel of the car.

Livernois or Vector can do custom dyno tunes also. You'll find members here like both shops, but will work with one over the other because that's where they had their tune done ;) (I'm a Livernois guy m'self)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like others have said, the best bang for the buck on these cars is a tune.

-Mail ordered from vendors like Livernois or Vector

I would not waste my money on the mail order tunes from them
I have seen their tunes they are old man safe tunes and I think they lock there tunes out
Just my opinion
Go to a local GM Dyno tuner

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I would not waste my money on the mail order tunes from them
I have seen their tunes they are old man safe tunes and I think they lock there tunes out
Just my opinion
Go to a local GM Dyno tuner
Clearly you are mistaken.

While my Vector tune is canned from the get go I have data logged and had them fine tune certain aspects. So these tunes are not locked so to speak, and I can return back to stock form with a snap. The car breaks loose and I chirp through my gears in an Auto trans...not very old man safe if you ask me.

These tunes are far from a waste of money! Even the Cortex has significant value to the right person. It's all about your goals and your budget.

But yes, there is always good, better, best...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Clearly you are mistaken.

While my Vector tune is canned from the get go I have data logged and had them fine tune certain aspects. So these tunes are not locked so to speak, and I can return back to stock form with a snap. The car breaks loose and I chirp through my gears in an Auto trans...not very old man safe if you ask me.

These tunes are far from a waste of money! Even the Cortex has significant value to the right person. It's all about your goals and your budget.

But yes, there is always good, better, best...
OK LOL
You are right I am wrong
DIABLO Predator is a tuner too haha

And Spam is a ham in a can

Stock bolt on G8 GT record MIR 12/17/12
1/4 ml. 1.66 60' 11.95 @ 112.5MPH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RWaSOivJE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1 - 20 of 26 Posts