Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black, Roto-Fab CAI.
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my current shocks on my GT. The GT still has the original shocks with 122K miles.

I don't want to lower the car as I already have a low transition from the street to my driveway that the GT just clears.

I was looking at Pedders or Koni. Either of these a good choice or does someone have another suggestion?

·
Registered
232 Posts
OEM FE3 shocks and struts (from GXP) are a good budget choice. Koni yellows have gotten rave reviews. Kings shocks and struts from JHP Australia have good reviews as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I am just trying to get some feedback as to what folks think and have the best experience with so far. Price isn't really an issue but I appreciate the budget choice information.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
For better than oem, Pedders replacement shocks and struts. They are gas charged, FE2 are not. At $409 for a set, add new strut mounts and check the rest of your suspension for worn parts. Make it trouble free with your original springs

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
The FE3 (G8 GXP) struts and shocks are gas charged as well. However, they're more difficult to locate new and usually priced higher than some of the other alternatives.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ll third the FE3 set up. Fronts should be readily available but have to source the rears for Australia. PPV set up is good too from what I’ve heard. Several here have done them with stock springs. A quick search should lead to those threads.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
PPVs (police pursuit vehicle) are high performance and low cost. Since they are listed for later model Caprice's, they are more likely to be available than the Fe3s. The Fe2s that came on the GTs were too wallow-y for me since day one (like highway float a year after picking my G8 up in 2009). So yanked them out and installed the PPVs at 25k miles. But since you have been riding with the original dampers on your G8 for some time, the PPVs or any new dampers will feel like rocks in comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
Where are you located? I have a set of Pedders struts in storage I need to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
^^^ Virginia.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pony Man is following me ..smiles..

I'm in Gainesville, VA. I bought the car in January of this year and have added a 1,000 miles since I bought it.

GXPaycheck, I see you are in Clayton NC. I bought the car there from NC Motorsports on Hwy 42 W.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also vote PPV shocks/struts. Mine are paired with Tein springs but will work perfect with stock springs as well. Much better road feel than the stock GT ones and can still find them reasonably cheap, got mine at RockAuto. Also recommend checking your strut top bushings and seeing if they need replaced, mine did at only 39,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
How much you asking for them?
Haven’t figured that out yet. Probably half retail or so. I need to get into my storage unit and dig them out. It was the Street II system I believe

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
The red Sports Ryder struts. Had the on my first GXP, removed a few years ago. Been in storage since.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
What took the place of the Pedders struts? Coil-overs? Back to stock?

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
What took the place of the Pedders struts? Coil-overs? Back to stock?
Stock. Liked the struts, had issues with the Pedders springs, just took everything off.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Awhile ago, purchased a set of Pedders o.e. ride height for the rear and "drop" springs for the front or something to that end. However, never got around to installing before selling many years ago. Wonder if their struts or shocks pair a lot better with FE3 (GXP) versus FE2 (GT,V6) springs?

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Pony Man is following me ..smiles...
Merely recalled stating location in the newbie/introduction thread when referencing the department of motor vehicles.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts