Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the acdelco iridiums because that's what was on car or I think double platinum was stock. They run really smooth, a bit better than platinum and starts up a bit easier. It has a trigger happy ignition system now where it just barely cranks before instantly starting instead of a chug chug chug start

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
They weren't too difficult to take out but some spots required an extension or two. I did wires and plugs separately because I figured my wires were arcing.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I just purchased the following on Amazon a few moments ago:

• Spark plugs: ACDelco 41-110 (GM P/N 12621258) - Iridium

• Wires: ACDelco 748RR (not to be confused with the inferior 9748RR)
The difference between 748RR and what comes on the G8 is that 748RR are red and have a 90° bend. This is why Amazon states 748RR will not fit the G8 even though many have used them without any fitment issues.

Just a reminder, ACDelco is giving a $3 per spark plug rebate (minimum of 4, maximum of 16) until the end of this year; it started on 01/01/2018. The spark plugs can be found rather cheaply on eBay...

https://www.gmpartsrebates.com/PDFs/66054_rebate_form.pdf

https://www.gmpartsrebates.com/offers

·
Registered
374 Posts
My car runs much smoother, particularly at idle, with cooper plugs. Currently running NGK V-Power TR6's with stock munber 4177.

JAM

·
Registered
702 Posts

The difference between 748RR and what comes on the G8 is that 748RR are red and have a 90° bend. This is why Amazon states 748RR will not fit the G8 even though many have used them without any fitment issues.

Just a reminder, ACDelco is giving a $3 per spark plug rebate (minimum of 4, maximum of 16) until the end of this year; it started on 01/01/2018. The spark plugs can be found rather cheaply on eBay...

Thats exactly what I went with and then I bought a pair of those long needle nose pliers with the circle on the end. They helped out a lot. Number 8 can be a bitch getting the boot off.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Just helped a buddy change his (I helped get them out. He had to put em back in). I recommend starting with the rear pax side plugs. After those, the rest are easy.

·
198 Posts
Has anybody tried the E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs? It runs great in my riding mower :smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
My car runs much smoother, particularly at idle, with cooper plugs. Currently running NGK V-Power TR6's with stock munber 4177.

JAM
Curious about this. What other plugs did you try?

I'm currently running the NGK Iridium iX plugs, also TR6.

·
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy
GXPaycheck can you upload a video

Don’t have one. It’s so tight that you couldn’t get a camera in there anyway.

Is there a story here that can be told even without the video?

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy
GXPaycheck can you upload a video

Don’t have one. It’s so tight that you couldn’t get a camera in there anyway.

Is there a story here that can be told even without the video?
Small hands help. Long extensions with swivels. Length if pipe to extend breaker bar if necessary. Rear pax side are done more by feel. Always blow the dirt away from the plugs before removing them.
Don’t over tighten the new ones.
Might be able to reach some plugs easier from under the car. We didn’t try.

Most importantly, plenty of adult beverages >:)

·
198 Posts
I'm confused (doesn't take much these days). Is this about the E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs? Has anyone tried them and are there any opinions on how they perform?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts

Well it looks like I lied or the image I saw for what came in the G8 were a lie. Or, the GXP received different wires.

The wires that came out of my G8 are black but also have a 90° bend.

Overall, it was a straight forward job. I must concur with Markmsf3 in that getting the boot off of #8 (passenger firewall) was probably the worst. Getting the spark plug out wasn't difficult. I simply used a short (~1" long) wobble socket extension.

I applied a light coat of anti-seize to the threads of the spark plugs. I also applied dielectric grease to the inner lining of the boots of the wires (not on the metal that contacts the spark plug). This makes removal of the wires easier in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

JAM
Very curious about why it runs smoother with copper plugs. Maybe the gaps were set better. How long are coppers expected to last? I don't think coppers are not going to last anywhere near the 100k miles that is expected of Iridiums. I remember having to change plugs, points and condenser every year irregardless of miles so I'll stick with Iridiums.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Curious about this. What other plugs did you try?

I'm currently running the NGK Iridium iX plugs, also TR6.
After mods and tuning I originally moved from the stock plugs to the NGK TR6's Iridium plugs. Knowing copper is a much better conductor, and as swapping plugs is an easy 10-15 minute job (16mm plug socket and 19mm flex head ratchet wrench helps), I did the half glass of water on the hood with the motor running test then swapped to the very inexpensive NGK V-Power TR6's. The glass of water test confirmed the SOTP perception of a much, much smoother idle, and better performing engine with the copper plugs.

IMHO and experience, for longevity the iridium's are a great choice, but for performance it is difficult to beat copper plugs. I do change them every 8-10k miles though depending on the weather and time of year.

JAM

·
Registered
649 Posts
After mods and tuning I originally moved from the stock plugs to the NGK TR6's Iridium plugs. Knowing copper is a much better conductor, and as swapping plugs is an easy 10-15 minute job (16mm plug socket and 19mm flex head ratchet wrench helps), I did the half glass of water on the hood with the motor running test then swapped to the very inexpensive NGK V-Power TR6's. The glass of water test confirmed the SOTP perception of a much, much smoother idle, and better performing engine with the copper plugs.

IMHO and experience, for longevity the iridium's are a great choice, but for performance it is difficult to beat copper plugs. I do change them every 8-10k miles though depending on the weather and time of year.

JAM
Interesting. And thanks for the answer. Almost makes me want to change my plugs.... almost. lol. While I love my relocated heater hoses and Holley valve covers, they do serve to make changing the pass side plugs more difficult. :/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts