Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crawled under the car today to re-check all the bolts and tighten them up since I installed my OBX header system a few weeks ago. The 3" band clamps provided in the kit that attach the dummy cats to the x pipe were heavily tightened by an air gun. They must of been over tightened stripping the bolt because I cannot get the nut off. So I slide them off and replaced them with a quick fix 3" U bolt style clamp that was at autozone.

The U bolt clamps I got at autozone are cheap and not stainless so they are just a quick fix, although, they are not tight and dont seem to be leaking.

Question is what is the best type of 3" clamp to use?

U bolt style?
Thicker band clamp but only 1.25" wide?
Thin flimsy band clamp but approx 3" wide?
Other suggestions for clamps?

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Welds>Band clamps

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
True but I have cat and catless setup...
Go with a V-band setup. It will hold up better over time.

I'm done with these damn band clamps though. My OBX system goes on tomorrow morning and I'm welding everything. Tired of random exhaust leaks.

Versatility > welds lol
Agreed lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You got an obx system? Made the switch as well. I bought the kooks catted connections from a race shop online and they were a perfect fit so now I can go back and forth for the track.

Obx only has 1 slip joint using a band clamp and mine didn't leak but I stripped the bolts from over tightening and now I'm simply wondering if there's a better style clamp just for extra reassurance.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don't v bands only work for specific pipes with groves cut into them or something?

Edit*

Read up on v bands since I didn't really know how the work. Because v band utilize two rings welded to each pipe then clamped together... I'd have to for one cut my slip fit pipes so they "butted" together and then weld the v band rings on either side. Much more work than what I really had in mind and probably not neseccary at all. Unless it was going wooooosh!

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
You got an obx system? Made the switch as well. I bought the kooks catted connections from a race shop online and they were a perfect fit so now I can go back and forth for the track.

Obx only has 1 slip joint using a band clamp and mine didn't leak but I stripped the bolts from over tightening and now I'm simply wondering if there's a better style clamp just for extra reassurance.
Yeah I am swapping out my Pacesetter/Solo exhaust system.

It sounds great. I get so many compliments on the sound, but it is just too loud now. With the stall especially I have to give the car more gas than before and I just can't sneak in and out of my neighborhood anymore. Everyone tells me how loud the car is too so that tells me it is time to quiet her down.

In the process of doing so I will have a much better flowing exhaust system as I won't have the 14 different welds, cuts, custom bends and hacks anymore. I'm going to run the stock muffs for about a week, then maybe throw on these magnaflow muffs I have had in the garage for the last year or two. Maybe have my fancy tips welded on there and add some J-pipes. I will look for some bullet style racing mufflers to bolt on for the track.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts

Does that shop also carry non-catted pipes? I'd love to have that ability to swap out my cats for non-cats.

I woud try the wide band clamps. Summit has them for about 8 bux each. Just make sure you get the 3 inch lap style.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes they sell both catted connections and "dummy" cat offroad connections. I really want to dyno and track run both setups to see exactly how much a HFC holds back. I think its going to be very minimal so I may end up selling my offroad connections.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Todd you'd be looking for 6712-OX-FRONTCONN. Only place I found those and the catted versions 6711-CX-FRONTCONN was the place I got mine and they didnt have them in stock. They had to be built by kooks then shipped so it took about 4 weeks. But like I said if your interested I might sell my catless ones.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't use u-bolts, they'll crush the pipes all to hell before they make a decent seal, and then you'll never get them back apart again. I've had excellent results using stainless band clamps and using "muffler repair paste" on the pipes before clamping them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put on some 3" wide slip joint band clamps today where one side is slightly larger than the other. I used some hi temp rtv and it seeled up real good. Not entirely satisfied because these clamps hand low due to where the bolts are to access tightening them.

Maybe 3rd times a charm and ill just go with the origional style which looked better, had more clearence and seeled well too. What a pita, wish they never got stripped in the first place!!!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
BLKG8, that is great news that the Kooks catted connecting pipe swap in so easily. I counted that system out, because of the hassle it would be to cut out the resonators and weld in cats. As for your clamp problem. Why not just cut the nut and bolt off and buy Grade 8 bolt and nuts that can take more torque without stripping. I bet the band portion is still good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.