Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to take the whole piece off or just scrub it down in place. Since old man winter has left some lovely salt stains on it, I'm adding it to my spring cleaning and waxing routine. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sub'd. Mine looks like Shizz

·
Registered
216 Posts
Adams does a whole video on the process. Check youtube. I take the more conservative approach:

50/50 water + APC mix, sprayed down where i want it and then whipped off, works good enough for me.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
+1 on the 50/50 all purpose cleaner and a standard towel, not paper or micro fiber. You can get the insulation damp/ kinda wet. You just don't want to soak it. Our cars are newer and if you get them damp or wet ,your fine . If these cars where older and starting to sag a bit, I'd say to spray a towel and wipe as to not make it sag further. Another route is to mask and or blanket things and take some flat black spray paint,only worry there is over spray unless you take the clips out and remove it to paint.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Lol.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just wash it with the power wash wand, but from a distance of about 8 feet. 4 years and it hasn't deteriorated a bit...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
[ I just wash it with the power wash wand, but from a distance of about 8 feet. 4 years and it hasn't deteriorated a bit... QUOTE]
That is fine and you can do that with a regular hose too because ,again our cars are newer . Don't do it too often or over time it will start to sag do to the water weighing it down. If its bad ,you may just want to paint it .

Just to add cause some people don't know but that is a fire retardant . If your motor catches fire , it melts the clips that hold it in place and smothers the engine with hopes that it will at least keep the fire at bay . I've never seen it in action but assume it won't put the fire out .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hahaha! I didn't know it was a fire retardant! It makes sense. But I'm so annoyed with it absorbing salt. I power wash it down just about EVERY friday when I wash my baby and it hasn't ripped or started to sag like a lot I've seen...dunno why! It deals with Chicago winters, MY driving, Chicago summers, and regular power washing! hahaha!

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
It ain't going put no fire out. By the time those pins melt the car is fully involved. It's for noise reduction.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I power wash it down just about EVERY friday /B]

Don't exactly know either why it hasn't sagged at all like others. I do it for a living and gotta say I've noticed the newer cars seem to have a better quality liner I don't do the same car twice at work and as for my personal cars, I've stayed away from doing it to often because I've seen how bad cars I've done have gotten. Newer cars like 05 and up I'd feel more comfortable but I wouldn't recommend to do it as often as you have . I live in Buffalo New York and know all about salt but haven't had it too bad on the G8 cause I only take her out on nice days ,no garage,wish I could . It's your baby and hope it doesn't sag on yuh but I wouldn't take that chance myself. Come on spring ! Lol

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
t ain't going put no fire out. By the time those pins melt the car is fully involved. It's for noise /QUOTE] hey again its what I was taught and by a detail shop that's been around for forty years ,the person who taught me that wasn't a rookie but he could of been wrong . Like I said ,I had my doughts but felt it might take and knock the fire down a bit in order for a person to have time to evacuate the car. I'll have to ask around about that , I could see it being for noise too . Thanks

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I did a super quick google search as I am about to get ready for bed but there was some chatter on another forum on this topic. Wreckwriter ,I have seen other replies as to the noise and other people commented that it was to help with heat in the engine bay,having it keep the paint in good condition in the engine bay . I saw a reply from someone who also thought it is for fires and was told that its been debated and one of this guys replies was maybe on older cars but not new stuff. I'm gonna ask our body shop and get a few points of view .

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts
I was just searching for solutions too ....after I did the intake swap now that is a eye sore. Mines got that pink polish from the touch less washes.

My friend suggested removing and have it possibly line-x ed. I was thinking more on the lines of something like in this g8 right above the turbo. Not sure what it is and cost to do it all over and if it will stick.

Looking for something practical and cost effective. I got a wife, kid and a mortgage u know

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I don't know about line ex but flat black paint is a buck and your time to do it. It will stick for a while and cover up salt or whatever . I don't do it to often. Once in a while kinda thing for me .
P.s. should do the all purpose and a towel thing ,it should come off that way . Always try the easier way first ,no point in line ex ing and or painting it when you can get away with a simple wipe down. It won't hurt and its fast .

·
Registered
386 Posts
Damn. The front of your G8 is mint!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The liner should not add to the fire load and/or contribute to the fire but surely wont stop or inhibit it... Love how wise tails start.... keep saying it, enough people will beleive it and then it becomes fact... would be neat if it actually worked that way.. :)..... I always wondered does the liner keep more heat out or keep more heat in?.... black cars especially have to deal with tons of heat on the hood.... also can the heat from the engine hurt the paint on the hood from getting too hot?.... I am thinking not but not sure????.... It surely is for sound and this is its main purpose...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
[QUOTE ... Love how wise tails start.... keep saying it, enough people will beleive it and then it becomes fact... would be neat if it actually worked that way [/QUOTE]
This is a better reply then what I just read from my email. A lot of this seems to be debated as I read from different forums and people getting into the exact same discussion we are having. Guys have claimed no issues after removing there insulation,no paint issue and some claim not to have a noisier engine either. So what exactly does it do is starting to become a good question. Although we are thread jacking by getting off topic,sorry o.p.. the retardant thing may be crap but I'm just saying it wasn't from some kid off the street .the people who taught me that have some credibility. I've never really had been second guessed when it comes to this ,so I've never followed it up just took it for what was said until tonight. I could believe that it would be for noise reduction ,which I'm also seeing it being disputed from those other forum threads as well as the paint. It's late and gonna ask my body shop management for their two cents as well as the shop foreman and see what they say. there both educated people who will hopefully put this to an end ,I have doughts given the disagreements I've read from those other forums .

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not interested in painting it or taking it off. I just want to clean it up a bit. I'm thinking the apc mix will be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not interested in painting it or taking it off. I just want to clean it up a bit. I'm thinking the apc mix will be a good place to start.
How hard is it to use the quote function on here??

This thread made me Lol, just do the all purpose cleaner 50/50 solution and you will be happy enough with the results.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts