Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered and receieved my shar fin, but I don't want to install it yet if there is also something I can do in conjunction to help with the awful OEM FM radio reception. I have never heard so much static on local Boston Channels.

I did a search and while I foudn others had asked...I did not see any replies....

If anyone knows of a mod or enhancement that can be done to get better FM recption that would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
The sharkfin will make bad reception worse regardless of what anyone else tries to tell you. Yes it looks MUCH better but the radio will suffer. I'd LOVE to find something to improve the radio reception so I'll be listening in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sharkfin will make bad reception worse regardless of what anyone else tries to tell you. Yes it looks MUCH better but the radio will suffer. I'd LOVE to find something to improve the radio reception so I'll be listening in.
Yeah, my buddy said the same thing about the Shark Fin which is disheartening to say the least since NOT one person in that thread said anything about worse reception....

I could SWEAR there was a trick to get better reception...but maybe that was for the remote start....

Hopefully someone chimes in...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
This is why I refuse to play the "looks game" with sharkfin, I have crappy FM radio reception with the stock antenna, I couldn't imagine it any worse!! :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Interesting comments. Only thing that suffered with my sharkfin is XM signals.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
There's very little information in the service manual about the antenna and the wiring going to it. But somewhere close to that antenna is the disconnect connector (antenna has a built in lead wire harness as part of *it*). If you can work with the coax wire (in that connector), maybe you could improvise a T or Y design extension from that coax and ignore the antenna all together.
In the past, there have been some cars that came with the antenna (for AM an FM) reception designed into either the windshield or back glass (using a T or Y) layout with very thin wire imbedded within the glass. It had attaching points external from the glass for the coax lead back to the radio. I remember that FM worked very well with that setup.
Of course you would have to create a layout above the headliner in this case.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Good idear there Gopher, I could consider it. I've mainly resorted to my MP3 encoded CD's in the changer for now, they're fitting the bill pretty good, however, the FM radio could use some improvements even with the stock antenna.... whenever I go into the city (tall dense buildings) it seems to fade away from any signal, no other cars I've owned ever did that, even with the Grand Prix with the factory "antenna" embedded within the rear window defrosterbars system.

Ahhh... can you get to the wiring you describe without thrashing the headliner?

I could pull down the rear interior light and see if I can get to the underside of the antenna... I just have nightmares about ripping or kinking my headliner, as once it comes down once, it's been said that it has trouble staying up from there on in. No sunroof on my car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MY Radio in XM mode is FINE...as good as both our GMC Denalis and my Nissan Titan...they work MINT as long as you are not near hills on one side...which from what I am told only seems to work w/aftermarket XM Radios that have much better reception.

As for AM...it's Acceptable, but I hardly listen to it.

FM...for me has many local stations (Boston) that are not on XM and it would be nice for them to come in a little better....

Of note...One Station in particular that I have been listening to of late comes in FINE on my Sierra Denali (2008) but is barely audible on the GXP, and when I put the car in REVERSE the station craps out altogether....

Are the GROUNDS awful on this car or something???

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Zep--- I've lowered the trailing edge of the headliner once, to checkout my (at that time) partially inop high brake light assy. Then the GMC service department had to do it, to change out that light assy under warranty. Its still in rock solid condition. I see the antenna is about 4" forward of that light assy. I located and using several fingers on each side of a clip position, pulled down with moderate force. I only worked my way outboard as needed, to work with that light. It *might* require removing both aft side trim pieces, and more clips to be dislodged, to get the amount of droop necessary for a good view and working room.

bosssho--- There is a good sized ground (from the antenna to a mounting stud shown in the drawing). I'm sure that to get a good reception, requires a very *near zero* resistance reading from antenna to the grounding point. Any breakdown would probably be grounds for a weak incoming signal and maybe some static along with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zep--- I've lowered the trailing edge of the headliner once, to checkout my (at that time) partially inop high brake light assy. Then the GMC service department had to do it, to change out that light assy under warranty. Its still in rock solid condition. I see the antenna is about 4" forward of that light assy. I located and using several fingers on each side of a clip position, pulled down with moderate force. I only worked my way outboard as needed, to work with that light. It *might* require removing both aft side trim pieces, and more clips to be dislodged, to get the amount of droop necessary for a good view and working room.

bosssho--- There is a good sized ground (from the antenna to a mounting stud shown in the drawing). I'm sure that to get a good reception, requires a very *near zero* resistance reading from antenna to the grounding point. Any breakdown would probably be grounds for a weak incoming signal and maybe some static along with it.
Thanks man...

Not being an Audiophile...is there a simple or fairly simple way to better that ground for possibly better reception?

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
For starters, I'm not smart at all with audio stuff. My car is all OEM in that department. Where I live, there are lots of AM an FM stations to choose from. In my *closed up* garage, the AM (as long as my fluorescent lighting is turned off) is very strong an clear. FM stations seem perfect to me (with very low or high volumes) also.
Even slightly corroded threads on that whip antenna and base, could decay that signal strength in my opinion. Any technique that can clean any suspected area of rust or grayish powdery coating on the threads or termination points for ground wires (if found), could only help the situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts