Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This winter my lifters were replaced under warranty, I got the car back and it still made a bit of noise but way less than before and I attributed it to the cold. I glanced at my repair sheet they have me and I noticed it said 6.5 qts of oil, I assumed this was a typo for 8.5. Fast forward like 2 months - my check oil light comes on but then goes off. It pops back up yesterday but today it's gone again. I check the oil and it is only half way up to the first hole... I'm infuriated at this point. I put two quarts in and it's good now, and guess what... The lifters are quiet. Who woulda guessed?

Anyways the car has been driven around 200 miles since the dumbasses under filled it. The oil light has only been on for a week, and then only like three times I drove it. The car sounds fine, drives fine, dynoed during it's tune fine. Do I need to worry or just rip the dealership a new one?

Also - for what it's worth when the check oil plight was on I kept her under 2.5k rpms.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Rip away!
At this point, a phone call explaining what you found and see what they say. Go from there depending on their attitude.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BLK - It was Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land. The car had axlebacks but nothing other than that.

GXP - does that mean you think it's ok?

·
Registered
556 Posts
The second the oil light came on I would have checked the oil immediately. I check my oil every once in a while just because I like knowing all fluids are full and clean.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Maybe its just me but I would have questioned it when I got the receipt for the work showing 6.5 qts. But beyond that if the light went on why didn't you check it right away? I'd still let them know the mistake so they don't duplicate what they did on your car to any others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're correct, I should have. Stupidity.

However as I have a 2008 I have the Atari gauge and it never dropped below 2 bars and it usually has 3. I think I should be ok.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I would have also taken it back to the dealer when the light came on since they were the last to touch the oil.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I should have. When it didn't come back on I kinda stopped thinking about it.
Gotcha. I would still point the finger at them since they were the ones ignorant enough to underfill the oil.

Stories like this are the reason I do my own oil changes. Even dealerships forget to reference things sometimes. Trust me, I would have thought the dealer of all people would atleast know how much oil to put in your car.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I don't trust dealers at all. That being said I check my oil everytime I gas up

However as I have a 2008 I have the Atari gauge and it never dropped below 2 bars and it usually has 3. I think I should be ok.
That gauge is oil pressure, not oil amount. I made the same mistake last year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,682 Posts

Everyone makes mistakes, mistakes are not to be confused with stupidity. The stupidity would come in if it were to happen again and your reaction was the same. It sounds like your car is none the worse for it so use it as a learning experience and move on. :D You're not stupid you just made a mistake.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
The dealer always asks me when I use to have them change it, "This thing takes 6 quarts right?"... I always got coupons for an oil change on my G8 with a discount for dyno oil and 6 quarts.

Dealerships are def not really prepared for this car.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
One of my local dealerships told me that since the L76 engine was a 6.0L, that it took 6.0 quarts of oil. run away, run far far away. Displacement does not equal oil capacity, and the L76 has a larger pan due to the DOD feature.

I'd retain that reciept and hope that if there was damage due to this, it happens before the 100k mark, which should be your golden ticket to the necessary replacement.

I agree with others, you're not stupid, you now have 'learned a lesson' ... hopefully it's only a slight lesson to check your oil level periodically, and not the lesson of engine trouble down the line. Keep your head up and move forward from here.

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
Yea the car takes 8 quarts. 100 dollar oil changes for me. :(

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I believe the amount of oil required changed sometime between 09 and 09.5 model year (8 quarts)....I use 9 quarts including topping off the oil filter on my 08.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a tech for a former BPG, now just BG store and I feel like I have to defend a dealerships honor lol. Not all dealers are created equal and what it really comes down to is the individual technician that performed the work on your car.. I'm sure there are Dumbasses in every field but the truth is that you have the best chance of getting these cars properly serviced at a dealer. Personally I chose to work at a dealership because I love GM cars, so I take pride in every car I wrench on.... call the dealer and I'm sure they'll offer you a free oil change or discount on something in the future.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
yea... definately not 6 or 6.5... i've had everyone tell me different... oreilly says 8.4 autozone 8.6 and GM 8. under your hood should say 8 Qts. I usually top off my filter and put the remainder of the 8 in. then i take it for a 2 minute spin. turn it off, drink a cold one, and check the dipstick. if it needs more i add .25 qts at a time and repeat.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts
I believe the amount of oil required changed sometime between 09 and 09.5 model year (8 quarts)....I use 9 quarts including topping off the oil filter on my 08.
It's 8.8 quarts.

With my oil passages cleaned up and widen, I take exactly 9 quarts now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts