Pontiac G8 Forum banner
261 - 280 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
When one finds the knob, I'm assuming it is a clockwise turn? Are people generally turning it all the way they can from whatever the base setting was?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes, all the way up.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
When one finds the knob, I'm assuming it is a clockwise turn? Are people generally turning it all the way they can from whatever the base setting was?
It's best to do it while listening too the stereo so that you can hear how much gain you're getting & when to stop.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh man I thought my stereo was messed up. I test drove a G8 and was happy that the system has a least a little bump to it and then one I bought had barely any bass whatsoever. This at least bides me a little time before I decide what I want to do with the system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Excellent tip!! Amazing how it sounds now!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have not like the distorted uneven bass responce of the car since I bought used. Guess what it was already turned up all the way!

I turned it down to mid point detent and rechecked sound with all settings at std. and or off. Perfect. The mid bass hit finally was heard and no more ratting and distortion.

I also checked it with a bass tuning disk and spl meter. The readings concur with what I was hearing. 30Hz is still off the scale, but that seems to be the resonant frequency of the interior of the car.

FULL BASS BOOST MOD IS JUST DISTORTION.. TURN IT BACK DOWN. Mid Posistion or a little above is good. Not full gain!... AND DON'T ADD ALOT OF BASS AND TREBLE AT THE HEAD UNIT EITHER. IT WILL PLAY LOUDER AND CLEARER THIS WAY!!!

Trying not to preach, but most home and car subs are not setup even close to best, most accurate sound.

You should not hear the subs. They should just be there when called upon.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Holy shieate it sounds way better. Was looking into new subs for the deck now I'll just wait for them to blow like the rest of the factory speakers did LOl. Turned the gain up a little past middle and it sounds 10 times better than before. Weird but it def works. Thanks OP. Very nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not too bad of a job to get to the amp, a little time consuming. before i put mine's back together, I made sure I had adjusted it to where I liked it so I would'nt have to be digging it out again.

·
Flying at low altitude
912 Posts
If you replace the door speakers with 4 ohm units you will have to turn the bass boost to mid point or lower to compensate for the higher output from the subs (2ohm) than the output from the 4 ohm door speakers to balance things out.

I am glad they had this on the subs at least (they needed it on the center channel too)...

·
Moonshine Racing'
162 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sub Amp

Do you really need to tear the entire truck to make the ajustments to the bass amp? Does anyone know what the total power of the amps in the G8 is?

·
Registered
336 Posts
40 watts per channel I think.

Take off the battery cover. Pry up the the side panel just ahead of the batt. Stick your hand under there and feel around. You will eventually fine a round knob about a half inch in dia. You can turnit with one finger if you get the rright angle and pressure. There is a detent for the middle position.

greg

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Do you really need to tear the entire truck to make the ajustments to the bass amp? Does anyone know what the total power of the amps in the G8 is?
I didn't remove the battery, let alone tear apart my trunk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Out of curiosity i finally decided to check the level mine was set at, easy enough to get to without a hassle, and having long arms was a plus. Mine was at the min, turned it maybe 25% and has a much more full all around sound now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bumped mine up a bit, made a VERY noticeable difference!

·
GM Fanboi....
110 Posts
I just did mine! Now I gotta check the wires at the subs.

261 - 280 of 313 Posts