Pontiac G8 Forum banner
281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
What an improvement! I turned mine all the way up and then just adjusted the bass on the headunit until I found the sound I was looking for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is great! It doesn't sound bad now with the gain up. I know car audio is crap these days, but I still would be ashamed to have my name on this system if I were Blaupunkt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mod complete. Works really well for rock and heavy metal. Vibrates the rear view mirror pretty good now. But shows its limits real quick when electronic bass comes into play. Since I'm a metalhead I can deal with that!

·
I maek mah avitar :3
338 Posts
Just did it now. Removed the spare cover, pulled out to the 2 plastic screws that hold the left side shroud in place and removed the battery cover. Stuck my hand in between the shroud and fished around. Was expecting to find it upside down. Removing the screws helps a lot. I initially skinned my index finger below the knuckle on one of the cross bars due to limited flex from the shroud.

The worst part wasn't finding the dime sized button. It was trying to figure out which way to turn the knob for bass increase. At first listen, I thought rotating the knob Clockwise was giving me the boost. Turns out I was incorrect. Here's why...

A.) I was listening to the stereo play while outside the vehicle with the windows down. Too much ambient noise was interfering with proper monitoring.

B.) For whatever reason, the Fader switch was set to FRONT +6. That completely messed up my initial monitoring session.

So I went back to retry. Always easier the 2nd time anyway. This time I spun the knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE with Fader set to REAR +2. I went inside the car and rolled all the windows up to listen properly. Despite baking in the 100 degree heat, I could now hear the difference. It isn't perfect but when you have a Logitech Z5500 speakers as well as SHURE SRH840s, you can be very picky with audio quality :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just did this and ill provide my input. I turned the gain all the way up. From inside the trunk with your ears close too the woofers you can tell a major difference in the amount of bass. but when your in the drivers seat with the back seat (leather) folded up into position I would say the bass increase is minimally noticeable. Gain all the way up, head unit bass set to +2, treble +3, fade +2. Yes it is helpful but imo made a small difference. I'm gonna try the rephasing rear subwoofer mod now and see if that will help.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Just did this as my first DIY mod - works as advertised. Just be careful with the knob, mine came loose as I was adjusting it and dropped into the battery compartment. Fortunately it couldn't drop too far and I was able to find it without taking everything apart.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guys, I can easily get to the amp but I can't find the knob and it's pissing me off. I think I found it but it doesn't feel like a knob, feels like a round thing that sits flush with the bottom of the amp and I can't turn it with the one finger everyone says you can. Can someone please post a pic of this "knob"? Maybe I'm trying to turn the wrong thing?

·
Registered
364 Posts
2008 models or at least mine the amp is on the back right side of the battery in the trunk... You can definitely feel the knob. Mine was not mounted like other people have stated, on the left side of battery.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can find the amp, I can't find the knob...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I can find the amp, I can't find the knob...
The amp is mounted sideways next the battery.
Imagine a dictionary slid in with the spine of the book facing down and slid next to the battery.

Reach underneath the amp (the spine of the book) and feel for a raised dime sized button on the bottom.
Clockwise is turning it up, counterclockwise is turning it down. At the moment it's at 50%. You'll feel a click when it's engaged at 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's what I'm saying, there's no knob on the bottom that I can feel. The only thing I can feel won't turn. It fees like the head of a screw that would be sticking out a little but the thing won't budge(and yes that's on the bottom of the amp and not the actual bracket lol).

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Just did it yesterday. Works like a champ. Now to do the phase change mod for the subs and will hopefully have a decent sound system in this beast! :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just did this as my first DIY mod - works as advertised. Just be careful with the knob, mine came loose as I was adjusting it and dropped into the battery compartment. Fortunately it couldn't drop too far and I was able to find it without taking everything apart.
Dito, I just did this mod this afternoon (wish I would of done it last spring so I could of had nice music all summer) and as I rotated the know back and forth a couple of times to hear the difference, I went into the head unit, put on some hip hop, adjusted bass/treb/fade and then went back and adjusted the knob. Got it to about 100% and then the sob fell out of the amp. Tried putting it back in place, fell out of my fingers into wheel well beneath the amp and now I can't find it. Luckily, I had it turned up so I'm just going to leave it.

Also, I think that I hear great improvement in the subs almost to the point where I can't imagine that the wires could be switched and switching them around would make even a bigger improvement. Maybe mine came wired correctly but I'll read over the "switching wire" sticky and see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can someone please post a pic of this "knob"? Maybe I'm trying to turn the wrong thing?
I'm pretty sure this is it(circled in red), I had my trunk apart this afternoon screwing around and figured I could get a picture. Point of view is from the front looking to the back and towards the battery.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yep just did this. Turned it 100% big improvement.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Back in the trunk I go!

281 - 300 of 313 Posts