Pontiac G8 Forum banner
301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hopped in the back to try this because the stock subs are weak sauce. Unfortunately, the previous owner had already done it. Womp.

·
Registered
302 Posts
System still sounds like crap. With all the speakers, tweeters and subs this car has you would think it would put out a decent sound.....nope straight garbage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You mean to tell me that they count a two-way speaker as two speakers? Who's doing the math on this thing?
Finally somebody said the same exact thing I was thinking. So when it's wired does that mean it has different wiring to those speakers seeing as how they are 1+1 =2! Sure it's no but hey, that one probably came from the marketing side. I've got 4 pipes coming out the back of my G8 so I must have a quad exhaust system from the engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found my sub wires were crossed as reported in another thread. Changed stock speakers with kickers 6.5 "components and 6 "in coaxle in rear doors. Xm signal and radio signals suck...but the cds have awaken.....subs firing beautifully without increasing amp....firing into car not in trunk. Bass on 1 , treble on 4, loudness on. I would do this first..if you dont like it you can add a 5ch amp and replace subs. Im using stock subs still till they blow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bias Bass Boost

I read many, but not all 305 posts on this topic, so I decided to give it a try. I had the cargo liner out installing the jack accessory package and a full size wheel and spare tire. I spread out a few quilted moving blankets on the trunk floor and climbed in with my flashlight. My understanding after reading several descriptions of the process was that I needed to raise the left hand inner trunk panel to gain access to the amp. Apparently I misunderstood, since I found no way to lift this panel vertically creating a space between its bottom edge and the trunk floor. After futzing around for a few minutes, I found I could flex the bottom edge of this panel out toward the center of the trunk floor, creating enough room(but just barely) to slip my hand beyond the panel into the space where the amp is mounted once I blocked up the panel with a couple of wood blocks to hold it in place. I felt around for a few minutes, but never felt anything that felt like the amp or the control knob described by others. I was able to get one eye down close enough to the trunk floor to be able to peer into the space behind the left trunk panel, finally spotting the knob. I reached past some mounting bracket/brace with one finger(appropriately, the middle one) and managed to turn the knob slightly. I was able to turn it back in the opposite direction to the detent position others had described. Finally, I turned it all the way up and then backed off slightly. This did seem to improve the sound quality, esp on CD's, but man what a PIA to access this little knob!!! I was sweating bullets fearing I was going to crack the plastic panel before I could flex out its bottom edge in the middle of the panel to create the access I needed. Anyway, mission accomplished, full size spare in place, and sound quality improved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
bias bass boost

just wondering where I would find this subwoofer switch, went into the trunk yesterday was not sure where to look, if any one has more specifics please include.

thank you

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Did the mod today. The amp is located in front of the battery. After removing the panel I could have just reached in and turn it all the way up. But being the curious type I decided to remove the amp and see what I'm working with. Remove the battery brackets, disconnect the cables and slide the battery out. Amp is held in by 4 screws. I found out you only have to loosen them and slide the amp up and to the right.The knob is located at the bottom, I turned it to the 3/4 mark rather than all the way. Along with the subwoofer wire swap I now have much better 'thump' coming from the rear. Never be enough to annoy the neighbors but good enough for me!
Colin

·
Registered
173 Posts
I replaced the subwoofers with Kicker 40CWS82 CompS Series 8" 2-ohm subwoofer. These are lower power subs that will work with the stock amp. BUT a BIG difference is sound quality. They will fit in the plastic housing for the stock subwoofers. You will need to bend the sheet metal a little, but it was not hard to do, just be sure it clears the speaker. BE SURE you get the 2-ohm ones, 4-ohms will work, but at reduced sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes the amp is stock.

301 - 313 of 313 Posts