Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my Kooks Mids (1 7/8). Install went pretty smooth and other than the one plug boot hitting the header all is well EXCEPT...upon startup it sounds pretty much the same, maybe a tad bit loader but when I put it in reverse there's a big change in the sound--it goes much deeper....I have no idea why.

This isn't driving just idling with my foot on the brake. In Drive its fine sounds normal, in reverse sounds weird. No big change in RPM...

I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Possibly an impact between the car and the new exhaust, most prevalent during the load rpm of reverse. Might need to check tolerances.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Didn't want to crawl back under...but I am thinking its a heat shield hitting somewhere.

And that one plug is awfully close to the header.....

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Yep. Didn't want to crawl back under...but I am thinking its a heat shield hitting somewhere.

And that one plug is awfully close to the header.....
Yeah I had that issue with oem wires and the kooks mids. I burnt through one of them. Might want to invest in sock wires and possibly MSD wires.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I swapped to msd's to avoid the plug wire melting. My only issue from the mids is that they are leaking and need to be retightened at the ball flange connector.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Zodiac is correct. Just get the insulator socks. They come in lots of colors, too, if that's what you like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep got the insulator socks.

Fixed the noise/vibration...one of the tops of the hangers on the Corsa was hitting the heat shield....hard to see and it took three tries to get it all tightened just right..

Now I just need to fix two leaking slip joints on the Corsa...I am thinking exhaust shop spot weld since the clamp nuts are rusted nice and solid (at least on the two that are leaking).

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Which insulator socks are you guys running with the kooks mids?

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the DEI boots..bought two at local auto parts store (O'Rielly's) [Funny aside, I asked for them at my local AutoZone..the first guy had no idea what I am talking about, and the second told me try Home Depot for a wire loom... ugh.]

I think I may just find some new wires, especially if I can find them in blue.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
You are loading the car when you put it in reverse and so your injectors will start injecting more fuel, which is why it gets louder. Most noticeable right after a cold start when the engine is running rich to begin with.

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it does sound different a bit in reverse, but my issue was dramatic and lots of bass and vibration..the exhaust was hitting.

I did order some Blue Taylor Wires and boot covers from Maryland Speed...should fix the wire issue and pretty up the engine compartment.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Performance Plus Connection - local guy here in Charlotte that makes these plug boots for cheap.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Performance Plus Connection - local guy here in Charlotte that makes these plug boots for cheap.
Yep that's who I got mine from. He sells them on amazon and ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts