Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The driver's window has gone up and down slower than the other windows since I've had the car, and I've been meaning to pull the door panel to lube the track and mechanism. The other day I had this black streak appear on the window when I closed it. It was sticky, like adhesive or butyl tape. I was able to clean it off with WD-40, but it started appearing again when I opened and closed the window. I'm assuming that this is contributing to the slow window, but what might it be?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Is it inside or outside. I'm wondering if the door liner has gone awol, causing that adhesive goop to get stuck in the window track somewhere.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it inside or outside. I'm wondering if the door liner has gone awol, causing that adhesive goop to get stuck in the window track somewhere.

I knew I was going to miss some detail.

Inside.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Would hazard a guess something is going south on your power window regulator.
But then the window may just need an adjustment too.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The culprit, is this piece here:

Which I think keeps the window from rattling in the door when it is down. The felt peeled back, and the black goop was the adhesive. Looking around on GM Parts Direct, I couldn't find a listing, and since I need to put the door back together, I've glued the felt back down and I'm going to hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You know, it's come up in the past that there's a bracket that causes rattling in the door when the window is down. And some have put something on it to quiet it down. I know mine rattles. Maybe some just lost the felt or didn't get it to begin with? If yours is pre-owned, maybe someone attempted the fix?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, it's come up in the past that there's a bracket that causes rattling in the door when the window is down. And some have put something on it to quiet it down. I know mine rattles. Maybe some just lost the felt or didn't get it to begin with? If yours is pre-owned, maybe someone attempted the fix?

That is what it was. The felt came partially off the piece that keeps the window from rattling. The black streak is the adhesive. I glued the felt back on and put everything back together, but I have a feeling that is only a temporary fix and I'll need to source a new piece.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Viewed a schematic of the door and the only thing shown as a single piece in the same vicinity is an upper trim clip (92138828). It appears to fit under the belt weatherstripping and is number eight in the picture.

Attachments

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viewed a schematic of the door and the only thing shown as a single piece in the same vicinity is an upper trim clip (92138828). It appears to fit under the belt weatherstripping and is number eight in the picture.

According to this image, the P/N you referenced is a metal clip:

I didn't look in the interior trim section because I figured it was either part of the door glass mechanism or door structure.

They do list P/N 92212706, a "stabilizer", that looks like the right piece, in a diagram for a 2012 Caprice PPV, but according to them it isn't for the G8.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
According to this image, the P/N you referenced is a metal clip:...I didn't look in the interior trim section because I figured it was either part of the door glass mechanism or door structure.They do list P/N 92212706, a "stabilizer", that looks like the right piece, in a diagram for a 2012 Caprice PPV, but according to them it isn't for the G8...
Very well. Looked under the glass category for the G8 and didn't see anything that quite fit the bill, however, if you decide to order a 92212706 be sure to let us know how it pans out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know how long felt will work, but I've had good luck using the fuzzy side of Velcro for glass channel runs in cars that you cant get parts for. Some of the self adhesive kind is really sticky and would probably stick to that piece pretty good.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know how long felt will work, but I've had good luck using the fuzzy side of Velcro for glass channel runs in cars that you cant get parts for. Some of the self adhesive kind is really sticky and would probably stick to that piece pretty good.

I thought about Velcro, and if I had some lying around I would have given it a try. I ended up ordering the P/N I referenced above, along with a few other odds and ends to make the shipping expense worth it. I'll report back on whether that part solves the problem.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Hi,
Thank you for your order.
Unfortunately, part number 92212706 has been discontinued and is no longer available from GM. We are unable to supply this part. You may be able to purchase this part from VPI (Vintage Parts Inc.) at 1 (877)846-8243."

So the incriminating piece is NLA from GM. I might experiment and see if it is actually necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Curious, who did you attempt to place your order through? Might be worth a shop to give cheapest g m parts.com a try.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious, who did you attempt to place your order through? Might be worth a shop to give cheapest g m parts.com a try.

I ordered through the website that sells GM Parts Directly from Winston-Salem, NC. All of these GM parts websites are tied to local dealers, and get the majority of their parts from the same source they get the parts they use in their service departmetns, so if one website doesn't have the part most likely none of them do, unless you win the lottery and a particular dealer happens to have the part on the shelf locally.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I ordered through the website that sells GM Parts Directly from Winston-Salem, NC. All of these GM parts websites are tied to local dealers, and get the majority of their parts from the same source they get the parts they use in their service departmetns, so if one website doesn't have the part most likely none of them do, unless you win the lottery and a particular dealer happens to have the part on the shelf locally.
Aye aye captain :patriot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts