Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally finished blacking-out all the side chrome on the car. I used Shadowline tape for the window trim and bought primered door handles off carparts. It was all something a shade-tree mechanic can do with limited tools at the house. I had one problem with the door handles though. The driver's side front door (the one with the locking mechanism) replacement handle was a passenger handle with the correct key hole back half. I struggled for almost an hour to make it fit (after 5 mins max on the others) and finally realized it was the wrong one. By complete chance when I ordered them I bought an extra driver's side rear handle--it came is very handy! Now I have to figure out if I can get Plasti-dip over here and paint the grills.

Will start the work on the suspension over the next couple weeks and then try to get to the Ring to test her out...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The tint laws in Germany are too restrictive. After I get back to the US maybe.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
clean

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dont forget your chrome around the grilles

·
MRG82U
225 Posts
Me like!!!! it's not becouse I have that color g8 or anything ;)
I also used shadow line tape works amazing.
Also may I suggest doing the door pillars flat black instead of gloss... (That's what I did) either way it looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
We need to revive the White Hot thread!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks really cool. +1 for the grille and +1 for the tint. Too bad you have to comply with tint laws over there for now :( This is the first I've heard about shadowline tape. Is it better or worse than plastidipping? I really want to get rid of the chrome around my windows too but I duno know how I want to accomplish it. Ive thought about just ordering the black trim from the land down under/JHP's site but plasti dip sounds like a cheap substitute that still yields good results. Did you just put this Shadowline tape on with the trim still on the car or did you take the peices off to black them out?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed the upper pieces broke 2 of the 10 or so clips doing it. It was tedious work applying the tape to the curved trim, but turned out pretty good I think. The lower, straight pieces were covered while on the car. I took the door panels inside off and loosened the mirror so I could get under it. There are folks on here that have used the plastidip on the trim and been happy with it. Having not seen the finish itself, but I knew I liked the look of the vinyl, so went that route.

As for the door handles, I'm not sure I love them yet. I certainly like them much better than the stock chrome/white door handles. I may have them painted at some point to match the car, but went the cheap route for now.

Thanks for all the comments and for those that blazed the trail for me to follow with this and other mods!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am so blacked out.....sometimes I think that I am stealth.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah tints when you get back to the US will complete the picture. but NOO WAY that is so sick you are in germany, how many other g8s/commodores to you see over there? and how sick is that thing on the autobauhn?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looks good. I cant stand the chrome over kill on these cars. I gotta get the black on the doors and the chrome painted red... plus the grills and side marker. Then ill be happy. But I am a very happy camper with a G8 GT stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts