Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I've run into an issue with the blower motor on my car ('09 G8 V6 base, has the manual climate control). Today, in mid-drive, I went from hearing only the sound of air moving, to a fairly loud droning/whirring/humming noise. Not sure which of those words best describes it - I took a video of it on my phone to capture the audio but for whatever reason I can't get it uploaded. Sort of a "wuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound, kicks in rather loudly as soon as the fan turns on, even on the very lowest speed. Varies up and down with the fan speed. I can still get air flow and a decent amount of it but the noise is fairly constant. Not a ticking or a squealing or anything that sounds like a bit of foliage or a stone caught in the blades.

I pulled open the cowling and filter to get a look at the blower from the exterior side, the filter is dirty but I can still get light through it so the airflow isn't blocked. A few leaves left in the chamber (exterior to the cabin filter) but none that got inside the fan. I spun it by hand from outside and it did seem to make a similar "wuhhh" noise but obviously much slower.

I'm pretty confident the blower motor is going, bad bearing or something I guess. I have the extended warranty which I have been told will cover the fan, but there is a $200 deductible. I'm trying to hunt down a blower, based on the information I have been able to dig up it seems like the glove box comes out fairly easily and the blower is right behind it (although I have not been successful in finding proof of how easy it is to get the blower motor itself out of the car.

ANYWAY! The real reason I'm writing all this is:

I have found three part numbers for the blower motor on RockAuto.

1. FOUR SEASONS Part # 76902
w/ Wheel --------------------------$63.59

2. ACDELCO Part # 92191993
MOTOR,BLO 4 DOORS --------------$133.79
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

3. ACDELCO Part # 92191992
BLOWER 4 DOORS -----------------$243.34
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
----

I read somewhere in my research that the proper part number is option # 2. However there is an astonishing similarity between part numbers for # 2 and # 3. I know there is a difference in available HVAC systems for these cars but I have a hard time believing the same is true for the blower motor on its own.

My question: does anyone know of a difference between the parts, and if there is one, which is the correct part for the base model G8?

Sorry for the long post - trying to give as much info as possible.
Any help will be much appreciated - I'm out of work because I'm returning to school, so every dollar saved is critical hence why I'm trying to fix it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
That info that "PONY MAN" posted in the other thread you also posted in, looks very correct. That being the P/N of the blower motor, as well as the ease of removing and installing the blower motor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. After I posted that I decided to get my balls out of my purse and just tore it all apart, it was indeed a fairly easy task after all. I am still somewhat confused by the two different part numbers and their associated prices but I get the feeling both you and PONY MAN are correct. I can't see why they would use two different blower motors.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Not sure, but I would think that the P/N would probably be stamped or labeled on that existing fan/motor assy somewhere.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was having the same issue to my G8 the blower starting to make noise. Dealer wants 370 dollars to perform the work.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Go OEM and get a quote from Greg Was at Pace. It's worth seeing what he's got.

Removal of the fan assembly is SUPER simple. I removed mine a week ago to clean the vanes and duct work around it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the blower came out pretty easily, only took about 20 minutes, could do it in less now that I know exactly how it's done. I wound up ordering an aftermarket one (budgetary concerns prohibited OEM) and when it arrived, it looks like it's about the right size but the exterior casing looks a bit different. The connector looks the same, however.

I have not yet put it in - when I took the original blower out to examine it, I peeled the sticker off the back and put some 3in1 oil through the hole onto the rear bearing. It didn't work right away but a few days later it was noticeably quieter. It is still much quieter so I'm leaving the OE blower in for now. If it starts to act up again I'll try the fit of the aftermarket one I bought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts