Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the alternator last week and put the cheap nut on it, I later decided I’d put the old stock nut back on and dumb me, I forgot to unhook the battery cables and I blew something as I contacted the positive alternator post with my wrench. Any help as to if it would be a fuse? Or shorter diode in the alternator?

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
With the limited info you posted, my first guess would be >>>>> "IF" the starter will not engage for an engine start, you most likely wiped out the 175A inline fuse. That fuse is built into the cable run going from the underhood battery post, down to the Alternator. If it did blow, you have zero power showing up at your underhood fuse panel. Without power to that fuse panel, there's next to nothing that will work anymore. Things assigned to your rear fuse panel may still have power, but I don't know for sure how you would know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the limited info you posted, my first guess would be >>>>> "IF" the starter will not engage for an engine start, you most likely wiped out the 175A inline fuse. That fuse is built into the cable run going from the underhood battery post, down to the Alternator. If it did blow, you have zero power showing up at your underhood fuse panel. Without power to that fuse panel, there's next to nothing that will work anymore. Things assigned to your rear fuse panel may still have power, but I don't know for sure how you would know.
Okay thank you, yes sorry the car is completely dead. Will not start or anything

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
For what's it worth, may want to post the thread in another section of the forum. Can start by checking both the fuses, relays and fusible links in the engine compartment fuse block.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Like Gopherit said the 175 amp fuse is part of the alt output cable it is an inline fuse, follow the Alt wire to the fuse

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Post number two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts