Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've had the radiator replaced coolant in the reservoir runs dry and the radiator loses roughly 1/4 of its coolant in a single day. There is no discernible water on the dipstick nor foam on the oil cap.

There seems to be some white smoke but not much. What other test can I do short of renting a pressure gauge to pinpoint where the coolant is going?

The radiator was replaced after the neck broke, causing the hose to come off, yes the car ran into the hot that day, and the oil was cooked by the heat. Man if I need a head job I will be sorely disappointed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmmm... Did you drain the oil to see what it looks like?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drained some of the oil, no water. I think the coolant reservoir may have a crack. Does anyone know if the reservoir is easy to replace?

·
Registered
345 Posts
If it's not in the oil and not on the ground, it has to be going out the exhaust. That is quite a bit to lose, though. It should be obvious. It would actually cause the oil level to rise, or to have quite a steamy exhaust. I have a lot of experience with this with my old LT1. I would lose about a quart in 100 miles - but my particular situation was a crack in the exhaust port of my stage II heads.... It would rapidly leak down while the system was full, but as soon as it lost enough coolant and put enough air in the system to not maintain 18 psi, the rate of consumption would drop way off.

I would just rent/buy a cooling system pressure tester.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts