Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done some reading on other threads about the Costar/Bluestar units. Are there different models (older vs newer)? I thought I have seen a II and a 2010 model? What model do I need to purchase for a 09 GT? There is a way to stream music from an Iphone6 right? Can you stream an alternative app like pandora or google maps instead of the music app? Where is the best place to purchase one and can a used unit be used without any type of reflashing? I decided to cancel my XM service and I would like to have the option of using my phone handsfree...:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
There have been several revisions (models) to the hardware. I would contact Chris at costar and ask specifics. As for what you can/can't stream it is just a2dp bluetooth, whatever works with that and your phone should work with the bluestar. If you want a2dp music streaming you need to run a cable from the bluestar to an aux in on the stereo, otherwise music is just mono over the stock onstar connections.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Works great for hands free, music streaming requires a few extra steps as mentioned. You also need to hook the unit up to your PC via an mini USB cable so you can use the utility to enable A2DP also.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I found a pretty good deal on a used unit and it's on the way. Ill hopefully have everything set up in a few days.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Costar in my hands and updated the firmware. I am curious to how you guys are mounting these things. Ive read about people using velcro or zipties. Any input? I haven't looked under the rear deck in a while to see what is there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it mounted securely but I have having trouble with the unit. I can pair my phone but calling and disconnecting from a call doesnt really work through the mirror controls. I also have zero functionality from the steering wheel buttons. Any advice? I updated the firmware only from their website before I installed the unit. I guess I will try emailing costar tonight...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
MeanGreenZ71
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing