Pontiac G8 Forum banner
881 - 900 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, actually forgot to update that....haha thanks for the reminder.

I'm only using HDMI now, no bluetooth. I've also done the VIM mod, so i can have video on the main screen. I mirror my phone's display onto the screen. That way i can use my phone's navigation/music/etc. right on the main display of the car. I'm also going to be installing a touch overlay onto the screen as well so it can relay touch signals back to the phone, but i'm still waiting on a part to complete that.

This is not my video, but it's similar to this:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ah got it, pretty much the exact same thing I have going. I made the choice to update to the new iphone 5 thus being unable to output video lol but thanks anyway

·
Ready for take off!!
489 Posts
Thinking about getting a Bluestar unit and wanted to see if everyone that has one is still happy with it. Does it seem to work well with the most recent updates?

·
Registered
106 Posts
running the beta a2dp update (although i'm not using the a2dp audio) and it's still working great

·
Registered
530 Posts
A2dp beta working great here. Nearly flawless and I use the a2dp audio functions twice a day at least.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I never updated to the beta AD2P software, so I'm at the last release version and people keep complaining about the background noise, especially suspension bumps. I have the gain at 0, so I'm not sure what else I can do. Did the beta code help call quality?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't get any complaints, but I'm also running stock shocks/struts/etc. By the looks of your sig you've done some work so our results may be a bit off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had to send mine back in for some sort of hardware update (resistor I think) for the same issues. Works great now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I bought a used one a few weeks ago on here, went to put the A2DP update on it (as that's why I bought it, my car actually already has bluetooth, but I want the streaming music) and bricked it....turns out the one I bought was one of the original processors which wasn't capable of being updated. Contacted costar about it and sent it back to them, they upgraded it for me and shipped it back, should be waiting for me when I get home, so I'll be excited to install it.

Thusfar, very impressed with the customer service :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I had to send mine back in for some sort of hardware update (resistor I think) for the same issues. Works great now.
Interesting. I will ask Chris about it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Okay, so Chris (mrcostar) said in some units, there should be a hardware update that will help quite a bit with noise attenuation, even in loud vehicles.

I have to hand it to them, I've always had great customer support from them

·
Registered
530 Posts
Okay, so Chris (mrcostar) said in some units, there should be a hardware update that will help quite a bit with noise attenuation, even in loud vehicles.

I have to hand it to them, I've always had great customer support from them
Yeah that's been my experience. I was pretty frustrated before that update came out but I did buy the device in the beta stage. Props to Chris for staying on top of this and making sure this is a quality product.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Which input are you running the A2DP through?
Been meaning to fabricate the adapter for the rear inputs but still just using a long shielded cable from Monoprice on the front input. It's long enough I've tucked it under the rear seat. I'll have my own garage soon again and be more inclined to do something a little prettier. Once I get to that point I'll probably just order the cables from JHP if I'm going to go through the trouble of removing the glovebox and pulling up carpet.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Been meaning to fabricate the adapter for the rear inputs but still just using a long shielded cable from Monoprice on the front input.
I was thinking about that, I'd rather have something hidden than still use the front aux...but I'm not crazy about running wires the length of the car.

If I've got to modify a wiring harness anyway, then I'm thinking I'll start with the harnesses on the XM unit that's already in the truck, see if I can use that....seems like I should be able to, just need to dig up a schematic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I installed my BlueStar today, works great :)

I did use the XM harness for the A2DP. I hacked up a 3.5mm to RCA cable to get to speaker level outputs, then spliced them into the harness coming from the XM box.

Pins 1-4 are the speaker level outputs on the XM box, with 1 and 2 being the left side (- and +, respectively) and 3 and 4 being the right side (+ and -, respectively).

Word of warning: When I disconnected the XM box, it disappeared from the available band selection, so I had to leave that connected.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Got my BlueStar unit back today from Chris and everything is great now. Nobody can hear road noise, so I'm happy. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
$80 for bluetooth and streaming music

There is a cheaper (not quite as cool) solution as well. Best Buy has a JVC Bluetooth to 3.5mm jack adapter.
This can be easily plugged in to the AUX jack in the front, wires run up and under the faceplate of the radio unit, and wired into the power and ground of the cig lighter. Only have to remove the passenger side panels to get to the wiring.

Streaming music, and calling all for $80

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
So I thought I would share a nice little way I found to install the BlueStar box into the existing OnStar box. This takes about 5 minutes to do and all you need are some pliars and adhesion of choice (I recommend duct tape or equivalent so you can remove if needed).

Step 1: Remove OnStar Box: Picture seen on page 1 of this thread, copied below (credit goes to Charles). There are two tabs you push in closest to the rear of the vehicle and the box comes right out.

Step 2: Remove OnStar Box from housing. Just pop off the removable cover and slide the silver OnStar box out of the cradle by sliding it past the tab (very simple).

Step 3: Modify the cradle using pliars. Grab part of the tab on the back as shown below and tear it off to make room for the BlueStar box. Tear off just enough to let it fit in.

Step 4: Adhere the BlueStar box to the cradle using whatever means you would like. As I said, I suggest something removable b/c the cover will constrain the box pretty well. The adhesive or tape only needs to constrain it from moving in the +/- x and +y plane (coordinate system shown in picture below).

Step 5: Put the cover back on, install back into the vehicle and plug in two connectors. DONE!!!!

Thanks romey, great little writeup, I was searching for a good way to mount without having to use zip times or ghetto fab something up.

Looking forward to getting out on the road and seeing how it works on the wile driving. I hope it has the noise cancellation updates in it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Firmware Update

Looks like they issued a firmware update, official A2DP release so I think everyone probably needs to do the DSP update (hopefully you're not an early unit like mine which will require you to send the unit back for a hardware update). I updated from beta so I was already on the current DSP update. New Programming Utility (i think), allowed me to rename the Bluestar unit and set my own PIN for pairing. Now it shows up as "Pontiac G8" under the bluetooth settings on my phone. No AVCRP buttons yet but looks like phone buttons are working as normal again, can activate Siri using the call button now also.

881 - 900 of 930 Posts