Pontiac G8 Forum banner
901 - 920 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I should also probably mention that I was already a happy customer after getting the lastest DSP update but getting new features from my existing hardware makes me an extremely satisfied customer. Once they get the music controls worked out this is going to be one sweet piece of equipment.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I need to pull mine out of the trunk and check it out since it quit working completely a few months ago. I don't know if it's completely screwed or it just needs to be updated but there's no longer any lights on the mirror. Plus it never would connect to my iPhone 4S without truning the bluetooth off and back on and pressing one of the buttons on the mirror to manually reconnect.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If it doesn't work I'd reach out to Chris at CoStar, I'd bet he'll make it right.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to do that. I have to wait until Monday to test it since I only own Apple products and you have to have a PC to hook it up to.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I need to pull mine out of the trunk and check it out since it quit working completely a few months ago. I don't know if it's completely screwed or it just needs to be updated but there's no longer any lights on the mirror. Plus it never would connect to my iPhone 4S without truning the bluetooth off and back on and pressing one of the buttons on the mirror to manually reconnect.
I would unplug it for awhile and then plug it back in. Theres been a few times mine has done the same thing to me and just removing power for awhile brought it back. And for what its worth I'm also using an iPhone 4S and my unit connects almost instantaneously when I turn the key, pressing the phone button activates Siri. Handy for calling up playlists and directions. Theres a bit of a delay from the time you hit the phone button until you hear the prompt but theres already a delay when you hold down the home button and just using the phone itself. When I had my Android phones I don't recall the delay being that long. If all else fails contact Chris, he'll make it right.

I also flash my updates from from Windows XP Pro running on a VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Can you ellaborate on what the hell you're talking about? I pretty much just use my MacBook for web browsing and occasional photoshoping (when I can get my hands on a SN for CS4), so I don't really know what VirtualBox is.

I also flash my updates from from Windows XP Pro running on a VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro.

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=virtualbox

;)

Basically, it lets you run another operating system in a "window" on your machine. So you could be on your mac and have a windows XP machine running on it at the same time.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That's funny, and at the same time a slap in the face. lol Thanks for doing the leg work for me!

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
115 Posts
Just got my CoStar in the mail. Very excited to get bluetooth working in my vehicle! I chose to go this route instead of dealing with the hassle of locating a factory module and having it "flashed."

·
Registered
246 Posts
I should also probably mention that I was already a happy customer after getting the lastest DSP update but getting new features from my existing hardware makes me an extremely satisfied customer. Once they get the music controls worked out this is going to be one sweet piece of equipment.
I agree with Brandon, I've been extremely happy with costar and their customer service! (I was also an early adopter for the 2010 unit) Great option if you are looking for Bluetooth connectivity and are unable to locate a stock unit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got one about a year ago, maybe more, but returned it because I couldn't get the call quality to a decent level. Some of you said the same thing but had the hardware mod done to it and then it was all good.

With the hardware mod, is it just as good as the stock onstar calling?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've never heard an Onstar call but mine works well enough that I don't want to search out a $400 factory BT unit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never heard an Onstar call but mine works well enough that I don't want to search out a $400 factory BT unit.
^^
My experience also, to be honest I would prefer a factory solution but for me it is not worth the cost nor the hassle.. I don't receive enough calls and don't make enough to go through the trouble of finding an the correct onstar box.

·
Registered
684 Posts
^^
My experience also, to be honest I would prefer a factory solution but for me it is not worth the cost nor the hassle.. I don't receive enough calls and don't make enough to go through the trouble of finding an the correct onstar box.
Agreed! My car is no longer my DD so I may drive it a couple hours a week and probably won't have a call during that time unless I call someone to make sure my BT is working.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
While its a little different than OE Bluetooth for the price difference it was worth it. I'm happy with my costar unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a G8 GT and found this thread searching for Bluetooth...it appears that Costar discontinued the BlueStar box on Jan 1, 2021.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sad times. I put in that new double DIN kit and sold my Bluestar unit. Hate the controls and LCD on the kit and would like to go back to OEM radio with Bluestar.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just bought a G8 GT and found this thread searching for Bluetooth...it appears that Costar discontinued the BlueStar box on Jan 1, 2021.
Now that G8s are dinosaurs it should be easy to find an OEM bluetooth module on ebay or junkyards. At least easier than when I got one in 2009 and they were like gold.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It was ok by the time, however, find a year 09.5 and up OnStar box and will plug right in with BT integration. I bet any GM in a Junk Yard made around that time with OnStar will plug right in. Not sure if is this thread or another one that has the P/N for the OnStar that is compatible with the G8. I believe, the 09.5 GXP came with BT integration.

901 - 920 of 930 Posts