Pontiac G8 Forum banner
921 - 930 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
It was ok by the time, however, find a year 09.5 and up OnStar box and will plug right in with BT integration. I bet any GM in a Junk Yard made around that time with OnStar will plug right in. Not sure if is this thread or another one that has the P/N for the OnStar that is compatible with the G8. I believe, the 09.5 GXP came with BT integration.

There is a list of OEM part numbers and the various GM vehicles it came in at the time. Not sure where I read it, but its probably closer to the beginning of this post. Much easier to find the box from another car using the same unit than a 9.5+ G8

·
Registered
530 Posts
The newer onstage unit is probably the way to go. But isn't it VIN locked? I got one confused from our base and GT model onstar units confused and no workie

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I hit search and found the OEM part number for 2009.5 G8s. It is 20827036. There are a bunch on ebay for about $50 to $60. They came in Silverados, Tahoes, Escalades, and Yukons around the 2009-2010 era and a few other vehicles. Its plug and play, but you WILL need to push your onstar button and tell them you just had your unit replaced by a mechanic and you need to perform a software sync to your new unit. They transfer you to a tech who can do it "over the air" while you sit in the car. 5 min of transfer, they come back and do a test, and your new unit works. When I did this in 2009 I had to go thru 2 or 3 calls before Onstar would actually do it. The first few told me "the dealer that installed the unit has to call us" or some bullshit, I said thank you and closed the onstar call, pushed again in 10 min and told the new guy the same thing, until they actually did the software upgrade. That was in 2009. They might be more willing to do the update now that these cars are old as dirt and there are tons of them who are getting components replaced, OR they might be less likely do it "you have an old car we dont care about you anymore".

If I remember correctly, the bluetooth may work fine with your phone right after install. I think you only have to contact Onstar to link the new onstar box with the onstar service. If you dont care about onstar, you may be able to skip.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How do I link my phone? Would like to make it work before I yank my aerpro kit out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
How do I link my phone? Would like to make it work before I yank my aerpro kit out.
Hit the voice command on the steering wheel and say "Bluetooth". If your OEM bluetooth is working you it will say back "Bluetooth ready". I think the next command is "Phone" but you can just say "Help" and it will list all Bluetooth commands.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hit the voice command on the steering wheel and say "Bluetooth". If your OEM bluetooth is working you it will say back "Bluetooth ready". I think the next command is "Phone" but you can just say "Help" and it will list all Bluetooth commands.
Kew. Ordered one for $75, I only found one with that part #. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kew. Ordered one for $75, I only found one with that part #. Fingers crossed.
Got my new OnStar with Bluetooth installed.. but no response. Guess I need to put the original radio back in first. Was hoping I could verify the Bluetooth worked BEFORE I did all that...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I did a search here and found one post saying you could snip a white wire going to the unit and it will work. Another post saying the box has to be VIN coded so the VIN in the box's code has to match the VIN in your BCM before they will talk. The guy who used to VIN code was at WhiteAutomotive, and their website is no longer up.

See this post:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Another search, another post saying clipping the white wire means you dont need to have it coded:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I can flash it if I can find the info. I've been flashing radios for a minute but I need info on flashing onstar boxes

921 - 930 of 930 Posts