Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have a wifi one since the bluetooth ones don't seem to work well with apple ios. I connect my phone and the software dash command to it and it reads all kinds of different info the car provides, instant mpg, timing, temps, codes, speed, rpm, and other stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
well, if you plan on datalogging with a compatible device on the other "bluetooth end" of it, then I wouldn't consider it a distraction. It's just like similar ELM327 devices on amazon. I think "rev" (android app) supports it, probably others. Maybe DashCommand is supported too, you'd have to go to each of their websites to verify.

Can't hurt to try it for $17 bucks, right?

Datalogging fuel trims and temperatures and other PIDs that the ECM keeps track of is fascinating to me. :) Your results may vary.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input m6speed & zepcom. I just ordered one. We'll see how it goes. As you say Zepcom, can't hurt to try for $17 bucks. Now I just need to find an app. for it. That should be easy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, there is a link on that page that give you a copy of Torque and a buch of other stuff, nice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just installed Torque to moto razr. Looks good. For free, some might want to just get the d/l.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Yes, it's a great "beginners" program. I used torque back in 2010 when it first hit the market, there are other "free" apps out there too (rev2 and dashcommand as I previously stated) ... no harm in downloading each and playing around to see which one fits you best. I had high expectations when Android tablets hit the market, but was disappointed when torque/rev2/dashcommand would get very slow on display updates when you added more than like 3-4 gauge displays (even considering the tablets faster processor and more screen real-estate). I think most every of the "apps" are free to download, at least in "lite" editions to eval, (even dashboss can be loaded on your iphone or ipad to compare) but generally are useless until they're mated to a functional and compatible supported bluetooth dongle. It's cool to eval interfaces though, go for it!!

After eval'ing all of that for some time I worked my way up to dashboss and am impressed with the external inputs and extended PID's it supports on the g8 platform. Dashboss is only apple, and it's the only apple bluetooth stack approved in the apple store (because it's encrypted bluetooth which apple requires, Android does not have this requirement... thus why there are "commodity bluetooth transcevers).

No ill will to getting your foot wet with this solution, and I can't wait to read the review on it maybe even with some screenshots. But my wideband is datalogged with 11 other PIDs that I can choose at anytime, and that's what works for me.

Good luck OP

--zep

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sub'd too. Any idea if this thing will work with any Apple Iphone software?

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Interesting, there is a link on that page that give you a copy of Torque and a buch of other stuff, nice.
Can you PM me that link. I am not seeing it.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
torque, rev2, and dashcommand can be downloaded (free versions and also paid versions) through your app store of choice .... apple's app store for apple devices, android market (or play store as it's now called) for android devices.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
and regarding the "bundled software" ... the review tells the story:

I'm giving this device 4 stars just due to the fact that it includes cracked software on the CDs.
Might be piracy, who knows what is really on the cd. I for one only load stuff on my phones that are approved from the apple store / google play store, so I know exactly what I'm loading on my phone.

And another thing you might not be aware of with "unencrypted bluetooth devices" like these:

Is this a good idea? Maybe for convenience, but I would not leave it plugged in. You car computer can be hacked by commands on the ODB port. Bluetooth with a password of 1234 means it can be hacked remotely. Then the car can be shut down while you are driving. I suggest caution.
Beware of what you are getting into, do your own research. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Wow I hadn't even thought of something along the lines of my car being hacked with the bluetooth device being plugged into the OBD2 but I can definitely see how that would be possible.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
That is somewhat of an inherent risk in running the cheaper non-encrypted adaptors, from my experience. Has someone successfully taken over via some sort of wireless war-driving effort? I doubt it, but it is possible at least.

I know that other items on the market (not nearly as cheap, so that does have to be considered) use the encrypted bluetooth which adds security into the mix which sits better with me personally. As such, my dashboss is plugged in 24/7 without issue or risk, unless someone gains physical access to my interior, but by then I have bigger problems. lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here is the link to the drivers.
<link removed>

As for someone taking over the bluetooth, they could, but it requires a link up 4 digit code. I assume you can reset the code off the '1234' they send it set to.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I tested that rar link in a sandbox and I'd recommend you watch out for infostealer.gampass viruii, among others, within that link.,

What is this some sort of pirate underground software repository? We cannot condone software piracy on this forum, so the link has been removed.

Lets keep the discussion limited to the product and connectivity and such, not software links.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts