Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to need to get the Spohn rear lower control arms off of my G8 this spring. It's been a well over a year since BMR came out with their adjustable arms. I was wondering who has them on their G8, how long they've had them on and how they're holding up?

I'd really rather not go back to the stock arms. Given Spohn's bushing voiding problem, I'd really rather not stay with these or go to their Delrin bushing. Especially considering the problems Eidolon had with his screwing up his mounts. That leaves BMR's adjustables as far as I can find. I'd just like a few folks that have had them for awhile to give me an update on how they're performing.

Thanks.:cool:

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two days and 140 views and nobody has experience with these?:(

If you don't want to air dirty laundry in public, you can always send me a PM.:wink2: I just do not want to get into another early adopter situation like with Spohn.:nonono:

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
non adjustable here sorry...
Thanks. I have a feeling that's a big part of the problem. A lot of people got the non-adjustables to help restore their camber when they lowered their cars and didn't need the adjustables when they came out. I figured at least a few would have still gone for the adjustables when they came out. Guess I was wrong.:(

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know there are at least two over here too. The question is whether they will see this thread and respond.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the BMR adjustable LCA's on my car, and they have been on for about 6 months now. I think there is a noticeable improvement in wheel hop and they seem to be of great quality.
It's funny you posted this because I have a call into Kyle about these versus the non-adjustable arms. He was on vacation this past week and is calling me back this coming week. It seems with the solid mount on the adjustable arms I can tell more harshness than before. I believe the non-adjustable arms have poly bushings and am wondering if this helps quell some of the vibrations I have noticed. I'll update you once I hear back from him.

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
I'd really rather not go back to the stock arms. Given Spohn's bushing voiding problem, I'd really rather not stay with these or go to their Delrin bushing. Especially considering the problems Eidolon had with his screwing up his mounts. That leaves BMR's adjustables as far as I can find. I'd just like a few folks that have had them for awhile to give me an update on how they're performing.
Glad I did share that here. Yeah, the Delrin was too much for the mounts, though I miss the solid feel.

I replaced the Spohn arms with the BMR adjustable rear arms just before GONE last year.

I'm probably going to need to get the Spohn rear lower control arms off of my G8 this spring. It's been a well over a year since BMR came out with their adjustable arms. I was wondering who has them on their G8, how long they've had them on and how they're holding up?
Poly doesn't feel as "steady" as Delrin, but they've otherwise been good to me. The camber adjustment is very nice to have, since I road-course my car. -2.0 out back is easy. I haven't pulled them out to inspect the bushings to see how they're holding up. But I'm not experiencing any instability, so I'm happy with the arms.

After installation, I did notice a vibration in the rear of the car when applying throttle at certain speeds, but I can't really trace it to the arms. I drove the car to GONE with the arms on last fall without problem. I had a serious vibration issue on returning, but getting my wheels road-forced solved that. So it hasn't otherwise been a problem, and I've put thousands of miles on the car since the installation. The car also performed admirably at VIR a few weeks ago. I do still want to try to find the source some time. It obviously hasn't bugged me enough to make me tear the car apart.

The one big caveat is to make sure that your rear end links use ball joints. End links that use heim joints will not have the articulation you'll need to connect the arms to your sway bar. I tried using my Spohn end links and they would not work. At all. I ended up using the BMR end links and they do the trick.

I have the BMR adjustable LCA's on my car, and they have been on for about 6 months now. I think there is a noticeable improvement in wheel hop and they seem to be of great quality.
It's funny you posted this because I have a call into Kyle about these versus the non-adjustable arms. He was on vacation this past week and is calling me back this coming week. It seems with the solid mount on the adjustable arms I can tell more harshness than before. I believe the non-adjustable arms have poly bushings and am wondering if this helps quell some of the vibrations I have noticed. I'll update you once I hear back from him.
I don't notice any increase in harshness - though obviously I was stepping back from Delrin - just that weird vibration I mentioned before. Only happens when accelerating around 75, feel it only in the body of the car, goes away outside that speed. I haven't put any real effort into trying to quell it.

My arms are poly bushings. What do you mean solid bushings? I wasn't aware these arms were available with anything except poly.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Whiteline adjustable a hands down!! Pure sex. Will show picks when I get back home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
My entire rear setup is Whiteline adjustables, LCA , rods links etc

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad I did share that here. Yeah, the Delrin was too much for the mounts, though I miss the solid feel.

I replaced the Spohn arms with the BMR adjustable rear arms just before GONE last year.

Poly doesn't feel as "steady" as Delrin, but they've otherwise been good to me. The camber adjustment is very nice to have, since I road-course my car. -2.0 out back is easy. I haven't pulled them out to inspect the bushings to see how they're holding up. But I'm not experiencing any instability, so I'm happy with the arms.

After installation, I did notice a vibration in the rear of the car when applying throttle at certain speeds, but I can't really trace it to the arms. I drove the car to GONE with the arms on last fall without problem. I had a serious vibration issue on returning, but getting my wheels road-forced solved that. So it hasn't otherwise been a problem, and I've put thousands of miles on the car since the installation. The car also performed admirably at VIR a few weeks ago. I do still want to try to find the source some time. It obviously hasn't bugged me enough to make me tear the car apart.

The one big caveat is to make sure that your rear end links use ball joints. End links that use heim joints will not have the articulation you'll need to connect the arms to your sway bar. I tried using my Spohn end links and they would not work. At all. I ended up using the BMR end links and they do the trick.

I don't notice any increase in harshness - though obviously I was stepping back from Delrin - just that weird vibration I mentioned before. Only happens when accelerating around 75, feel it only in the body of the car, goes away outside that speed. I haven't put any real effort into trying to quell it.

My arms are poly bushings. What do you mean solid bushings? I wasn't aware these arms were available with anything except poly.
I was hoping you'd pop in here.:cool:

Thanks for the heads up on using the new style BMR end links. I was thinking of going in that direction from the old style BMR links anyways. Your input seals that decision for me.

Hopefully the new links will also help solve my front sway bar to LCA interference problem I was having. If you remember, it notched the aluminum Spohn arm pretty badly. It doesn't hit as often on the round Pedders arm, but it does still hit in certain situations (sharp bump in hard corners). But, the steel Pedders arm just shrugs it off. I'd still like to get that squared away. Hopefully the new end links do the trick.

I don't see an option for a solid mount on the BMR arms either. Their website only shows poly bushings on the cradle end. The spindle end has to be solid mount. No way around that one. IIRC, even the stock arms were solid mount on the spindle end. The BMR non-adjustable arms are configured the same as the adjustables, i.e. poly on the cradle end, solid on the spindle end.

Hopefully I don't inherit another vibration if I go to these arms. I had to change the front LCA's to get rid of the last vibration I had. A new vibration would be really bad because I'd be changing to new tires at the same time I got the arms changed. That would make troubleshooting a new vibration especially frustrating.

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whiteline adjustable a hands down!! Pure sex. Will show picks when I get back home.

Definitely interested in seeing the Whiteline adjustables. I hadn't even heard of them before.

After about 30 Google pages, I found the Whitelines. They're definitely nicer looking. The BMR's appear to be a little beefier with more reinforcement. The price is about the same as well. However, I found a place that has the BMR arms for $499 instead of $599. Hmmm, guess I'll have Sunday to think it over since nobody would ship until Monday anyways.

vs

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
I was hoping you'd pop in here.:cool:
If ever I don't, my PM inbox is always open. :)

Thanks for the heads up on using the new style BMR end links. I was thinking of going in that direction from the old style BMR links anyways. Your input seals that decision for me.

Hopefully the new links will also help solve my front sway bar to LCA interference problem I was having. If you remember, it notched the aluminum Spohn arm pretty badly. It doesn't hit as often on the round Pedders arm, but it does still hit in certain situations (sharp bump in hard corners). But, the steel Pedders arm just shrugs it off. I'd still like to get that squared away. Hopefully the new end links do the trick.
I actually use the stock end links up front. Since I run the BMR arms full stiff out back and full soft up front, I've been able to use the stock front end links through multiple road course sessions - either two or three - without issue. Ditto for Doug (DougHG8), actually. It's the only set I've found that works every time with no contact with anything, no compromise in turning radius, and it perfectly positions the bar to clear the suspension.

I don't see an option for a solid mount on the BMR arms either. Their website only shows poly bushings on the cradle end. The spindle end has to be solid mount. No way around that one. IIRC, even the stock arms were solid mount on the spindle end. The BMR non-adjustable arms are configured the same as the adjustables, i.e. poly on the cradle end, solid on the spindle end.
Correct, the spindle end is just open bolt holes because it bolts through the spindle. In the GT, the spindle uses a rubber bushing. BMR and Pedders sell poly replacements. In the GXP and 2010 Camaro, it's a solid bearing with a hole through it: a sealed heim joint.

Hopefully I don't inherit another vibration if I go to these arms. I had to change the front LCA's to get rid of the last vibration I had. A new vibration would be really bad because I'd be changing to new tires at the same time I got the arms changed. That would make troubleshooting a new vibration especially frustrating.
I have not conclusively traced it to the arms. I only noticed it after putting everything back together after putting the arms on. The fact that no one else has stated the same leads me to believe I have something unique going on. So, again, I need to do some investigating.

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If ever I don't, my PM inbox is always open. :)

I actually use the stock end links up front. Since I run the BMR arms full stiff out back and full soft up front, I've been able to use the stock front end links through multiple road course sessions - either two or three - without issue. Ditto for Doug (DougHG8), actually. It's the only set I've found that works every time with no contact with anything, no compromise in turning radius, and it perfectly positions the bar to clear the suspension.

I have not conclusively traced it to the arms. I only noticed it after putting everything back together after putting the arms on. The fact that no one else has stated the same leads me to believe I have something unique going on. So, again, I need to do some investigating.
If the new style BMR links don't fix it, I'll get a new set of the stock ones. My stock ones were trash when they came off.:(

Yeah, that's the thing that sucks about vibrations. There are so many possible sources. Especially when you change a bunch of parts at once like I usually do. I can't do the work myself anymore, so I try to do as much as possible while they've got it torn apart instead of duplicating (and paying twice for) effort.:(

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice Daniel, never saw those before.....now there are two to choose from!

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone that chimed in here.:)

After a lot of consideration, I went ahead and ordered the BMR adjustables and their new version sway bar links. The Whitelines that Daniel turned us onto were very tempting.:cool: Both brands seem to have a very similar solution.

In the end, it boiled down to price ($100 less for the BMR's). Also, as pretty as the Whitelines are, I hope to never have to see them again once they are installed.:wink2: I'm not going to be looking under my car just to admire them.:( Finally, the BMR's just looked beefier to me. With the insanely rough roads around here, that has to be a consideration.

The reliefs for the wider rims may also come in handy down the road.:dunno:

Thanks again. Here's hoping it's the last big expenditure I have on this suspension.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts