Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So followed the directions and well... As you can see... Something is defiantly wrong... The rear sway is now hitting the arm.. What happened? What did I do wrong? Auto part Suspension Suspension part Tire Automotive wheel system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set them to the 3.25 inches as instructed and they were a inch away from the sway bar. I would have had to lift the wheel to get it on... And that would have lowered the car..

·
Registered
848 Posts
Make the links longer... Right now as your suspension articulates it is allowing the bar end to drop - rotating down, very bad.. If the link was a little longer it would no longer be able to do that.

Ideally you are trying to get the bar ends perpendicular to the links, that will not be possible with the BMR rear bar on full stiff. But get as close as you can within the limits of the thread engagement of the adjustable link and any other obstructions.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make the links longer... Right now as your suspension articulates it is allowing the bar end to drop - rotating down, very bad.. If the link was a little longer it would no longer be able to do that.

Ideally you are trying to get the bar ends perpendicular to the links, that will not be possible with the BMR rear bar of full stiff. But get as close as you can within the limits of the thread engagement of the adjustable link and any other obstructions.
Need to make them even longer then the last pic I took? Seems fine, took it for a drive... Feels great...

·
Registered
848 Posts
I couldn't tell any difference in length between the first and second picture. And don't know how/when it was installed or if driving or installing caused it to look that way.

You need to picture the sway bar pushing down on the end link. The force needs to transfer to the control arm. If the end link is too short it can force it down to look like your first picture.

If you installed it as pictured in the first picture, and when you lowered it saw the interference then detached and reattached in the proper orientation like the second picture. You should be good..

If you installed it like the second picture, went for a drive and found it looking like the first picture when you rechecked it.. The end link was too short.

·
There was one?
2,310 Posts
Contact Kyle at BMR and he will make sure you are all set......

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
In short, you don't want it to accidentally move to that first position when the suspension goes up and down. It will bend or break something. The end link looks too short for comfort.

On another note, a fine tuned setup will have the sway bar ends close to horizontal. If nothing is getting in the way to prevent that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In short, you don't want it to accidentally move to that first position when the suspension goes up and down. It will bend or break something. The end link looks too short for comfort.

On another note, a fine tuned setup will have the sway bar ends close to horizontal. If nothing is getting in the way to prevent that.

The exact same thing happened to me! The problem was the installing the links while the car is in the air, will not let the sway bar align perpendicular with the link, then when u drop it down, it gets caught on the control arm. The key is to leave the end of the link that attaches to the sway bar unhooked until u drop the car down in order for the suspension to align itself. Then button it all up & u should be good!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The exact same thing happened to me! The problem was the installing the links while the car is in the air, will not let the sway bar align perpendicular with the link, then when u drop it down, it gets caught on the control arm. The key is to leave the end of the link that attaches to the sway bar unhooked until u drop the car down in order for the suspension to align itself. Then button it all up & u should be good!
Exactly what happened here...
It's fixed now... But next time I can get on the lift, Ill see of I can fix it more... Drove a spirited home from work on some twisties and there's deff. No issues...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts