Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do body work as a side hobby and I have a fried who has a super clean BMW X5 4.6si. It has 90k on it. His wife bumped a deer so we swapped cars so I could work up a estimate. Well after him and his wife drove the g8, they loved it. He just text and offers $5000 and the BMW for my g8. Mine is a 08gt with 57000 miles. All options. I have been thinking about getting something a different for the wife and selling her tahoe so this could be good and I would try to find a lightly wrecked g8 to build later for cheap.

Anyone have any experience with the x5's
Thanks

·
Hsv Gts Pimp
874 Posts
What year X5? Call me a yuppy but I love those suv's. The only problem is the cost to maintain and fix one. I swore I would never own a BMW that wasn't warrantied.

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
If it's the one with the real rims\tires like this:

Then I'd also be seriously tempted. The stance on those things is to DIE for. That and the Jeep SRT8 (older ones, not the 2012 one) are the only two SUV's I'd seriously consider owning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2003 and yes its just like the one in the pic. It has the mesh wheels, 20' with deep dish in rear on it and he has those wheels in the pic to go with it as well. It is bright red like liquid red.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a pic of it.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I've only had my G8 for 6 months or so and it replaced an awesome BMW 540 but I like the G8 a LOT. The cost of maintenance & parts is definitely more on the BMW. The X5 is just friggin ugly in my opinion, especially compared to the G8.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Spend a few hours observing the cashier in a BMW repair shop. You won't believe how many different ways a busted BMW can cost you a fortune. There is a reason they had to offer four years free maintenance on new BMWs. But if you have money to burn, they are superior vehicles when they work right.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
The thought of trading a G8 for an SUV makes me cringe, especially when the SUV is already 9 years old, is not overly low mileage, and thus will likely have some reasonably-serious maintenance coming due.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Seems like step backwards to me. The 2003 4.6's seem to go going for about $14,000-$18,000 on AutoTrader, plus your $5000 cash differential works out to about 19-23k value-wise. Is that what you think your G8 is worth? If so, then it may be worth doing. But clean private-party G8GTs are fetching 25-27k in many places, especially up here in OR.

Additionally, although the cash value may be comparable, you will be getting a vehicle that's five years older, with many more miles, and something that is substantially more expensive to repair when it fails, which it will.

I like the X5 a lot, my boss drives a 2000 and my friend has a 2005. They are clean cars (except the exhaust looks pretty stupid on them) that sit well, handle well, and perform well. But I wouldn't dream of trading my G8 in for one.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A friend of mine's wife has a 335 and had to have the battery replaced out of warranty. If I remember right, it was $600! He said "no thanks" and went to the parts store only to find out it is a custom made battery you can only get from BMW; he went back and paid the $600 for a BATTERY! I don't want one! Awesome vehicles though!

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
$600 battery? Holy crap. I replaced the battery on my BMW with a Walmar $77 special that worked great. My biggest worry with the 4.4 liter I had (which is very similar to the 4.6 liter) was that one of the timing chain guides would break and cause the timing chain to jump a tooth and bend valves. This seems to be happening more frequently as the cars age and with the cheap plastic guides, those engines are ticking time bombs. On the positive, they are very powerful for the size and sound AMAZING when revving. What got me was all the little things like window actuators and door handles and bowden cables snapping. All the little things and the fact that they were much more expensive parts than they should be is what finally got me to trade it in for my G8.

·
Registered
444 Posts
BMW parts even aftermarket if you can get your hands on them are ludicrously expensive and when those things break down they break down. I like BMW and Mercedes but their cost of ownership is outrageous. Make sure that it doesn't call for an insane oil weight like 0w-50 or 40.

·
Registered
444 Posts
A friend of mine's wife has a 335 and had to have the battery replaced out of warranty. If I remember right, it was $600! He said "no thanks" and went to the parts store only to find out it is a custom made battery you can only get from BMW; he went back and paid the $600 for a BATTERY! I don't want one! Awesome vehicles though!
Reminds me of a customer with a Mercedes ML320 that griped about the Interstate Battery that would cost 230 bucks installed. I told him you don't like the price you can go to Mercedes and pay over 300 bucks for the battery alone. He started in on what I said and responded, "Then don't complain, you own a Mercedes."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
mrbirdman330
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing