Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to install my solo catback and the bolts on the axelback were rusted out. I have no means of cutting them off and not looking to have someone else do it, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
If that means they are still in place (bolts attached to nuts) why not try some BIG leverage tools on both ends. Try tightening and loosening directions with as much oomph as you have available. It might allow them to free themselves up or sheer apart. Either way, you should be able to separate the junctions.

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
yup mine to and i dont winter drive it and barely drive it in the rain, 4 yrs old and only has 23k on it and garaged. my bolts all broke off when taking them off drilled them all out and saved all the threads thank god lol but i used locking nuts with bolts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Once you get lucky, and get them all out (I guess in bits an pieces), and then have to install new bolts/nuts, it sounds like brushing on some super duper high temp *anti seize* compound, would keep you from having the same problem down the road.

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
Once you get lucky, and get them all out (I guess in bits an pieces), and then have to install new bolts/nuts, it sounds like brushing on some super duper high temp *anti seize* compound, would keep you from having the same problem down the road.
that stuff would just burn right off cuz of the heat

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
that stuff would just burn right off cuz of the heat
Actually not so much believe it or not. I think its cause its not exposed to air but rather sealed into where the threads are. I know I've put anti-seize on O2 sensors and years later removed them only to have the anti-seize still be on the threads. I always use anti-seize on exhaust bolts so they an removed easily later.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
soak in PB blaster.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
anti sieze will not "burn off". Use the copper one.
As far as getting these out, drilling is only a last resort - because it takes so damn long. If you snap the heads off of the bolts - fine. the axle backs will come right off. Then you can try
1. Vice grips - with the axle back off, often this removes enough pressure making vice grip removal possible.
2. Weld a bolt onto the broken one. the heat will help loosen the threads, and you will have a new bolt to unscrew.
3. Only if 1 and 2 fail - drill away. Most aftermarket axlebacks do not even use a threadded flange, so do not even worry about re-tapping. Just put a nut on it (that's what she said :))

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
G8 fiend
1,245 Posts
i tihnk thats the stuff i used not sure it was the high automotive stuff my buddy uses to get bolts off pump trucks n such. but mine i drilled out and saved the thread but they were a lil loose so as a precaution i used longer bolts with locking nuts and ss obviously lol

on a side note this is not uncommon for ppl who care there car year round all seasons but wondering about ppl like myself or the hot lands where no salt or snow and still get super rusted. its very odd a car not 5 yrs old does this. paint and rusty bolts worst ever :(

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
My 2008 has 33k on it and still looks brand new underneath. Love living in the south.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So soaked in in PB Blaster today still cant get the nut by the cat to budge. I figure I only really need to get those four off and ill be able to drop the whole thing down. What are you guys using to take these off, with the nut being so rusted its hard to get a grip on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.