Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
every village has one
2,169 Posts
Tough choice. Always been happy with my Solo system. Their customer service and quality are top notch.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Same here, I like the Solo but I cannot speak about Borla. My system is the Catback Mach Balanced (H pipe). There is a drone when the engine engage the DOD/AFM, on full 8, no drone at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a Borla catback that came with the car when I bought it. I switched to Solo after getting Kook's LT headers. I have the solo mach shorty which is the loudest they offer. Very small amount of drone cruising but if you have music on you will not notice it. I would not go back to Borla. Although I think Borla is one of the better sounding ones it didn't fit the headers so if you plan on getting headers I'd go Solo. I still have the Borla if you are interested in buying it. Not sure how much I'd sell it for. It is just sitting outside right now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
When did you change for the headers. Is some that I will like todo but I am very afraid to break a bolt. After 125,000+ miles, I think they are seated pretty darn good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Even with headers, I didn't like the way Borla sounded but that's subjective. There was also some drone that got pretty annoying. I have a few exhaust setups now,
-Pypes headers, Borla midpipe with Magnaflow x muffler + Solo axleback (get a lot of compliments on the sound but very quiet inside..I like to hear the car)
-"headers", off-road borla midpipe + solo axleback (very very loud, still get some drone that I can't tune out with J pipes)
-"headers", off-road borla midpipe + Dynomax superturbo mufflers (sounds a little similar to Borla insode the car but a lot more volume outside) (This is my current setup)
I have all the above parts saved so i can switch at will. I really want to buy some Chevy SS mufflers to try out too lol. I might have a problem hahaha

·
198 Posts
As others have stated, the 'perfect' sound is very personal and subjective. I have Solo HFCs and a Borla cat back. I've had this combo in use since July 2011 and it makes me smile every time I start the car. Others have commented on how good it sounds. In the end, find one that puts a smile on your face. That's all that really matters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Even with headers, I didn't like the way Borla sounded but that's subjective. There was also some drone that got pretty annoying. I have a few exhaust setups now,
-Pypes headers, Borla midpipe with Magnaflow x muffler + Solo axleback (get a lot of compliments on the sound but very quiet inside..I like to hear the car)
-"headers", off-road borla midpipe + solo axleback (very very loud, still get some drone that I can't tune out with J pipes)
-"headers", off-road borla midpipe + Dynomax superturbo mufflers (sounds a little similar to Borla insode the car but a lot more volume outside) (This is my current setup)
I have all the above parts saved so i can switch at will. I really want to buy some Chevy SS mufflers to try out too lol. I might have a problem hahaha
I installed chevy SS mufflers a few months back, made my own h-pipe and deleted mid muffler. Love the sound so far and i cannot wait till the day i have LT's!

I like my coworkers solo exhaust too on his g8, i almost went solo but my wallet and listening to countless videos of chevy SS and long tubes changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Pontiac Crazy
419 Posts
I love my Solo. 3" Unbalanced cat-back.

Note: I also have headers, no cats, and cutouts (opened midway through video).

·
Registered
168 Posts
When did you change for the headers. Is some that I will like todo but I am very afraid to break a bolt. After 125,000+ miles, I think they are seated pretty darn good.
FWIW I had I believe 90k miles of rust-belt goodness on my Formula when I did long tubes. Hit it with PB blaster the night before and it soak. Then get a GOOD socket on there, break 'em loose, and gently run them out. I chased the threads before I put them back in and cleaned out the holes. My biggest problem was honestly the dipstick... (finally "broke" loose, and ended up leaving 3" worth of dipstick in the oil pan which was quite a surprise to see the next time I changed the oil o_O )

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Which one???. I know Borla is down to only one model, the middle S-Type but you have several Solo Options. The Borla is all 304 stainless, so it will last forever.
I have the Mach balanced with Shorty's and solo Cats. Nice back on cold start up. Pretty quiet on cruise so you can carry on conversations. at WOT she open up and is no longer quiet. Not sure about Drone with the Borla. The S-Type on the wifes '10 L99 Camaro Drones. Under 25, Borla. Wife in the car a lot, Solo. Any of the exhausts sound good on a stock engine with headers. Add high lift rockers or a cam, it only sounds better.
when you do install it, Anti Seize is your friend.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
FWIW I hayd I believe 90k miles of rust-belt goodness on my Formula when I did long tubes. Hit it with PB blaster the night before and it soak. Then get a GOOD socket on there, break 'em loose, and gently run them out. I chased the threads before I put them back in and cleaned out the holes. My biggest problem was honestly the dipstick... (finally "broke" loose, and ended up leaving 3" worth of dipstick in the oil pan which was quite a surprise to see the next time I changed the oil o_O )
Will try that, thanks.

So the biggest issue is the Dipatick, is that with all headers (brands and styles)?

·
Pontiac Crazy
419 Posts
Will try that, thanks.

So the biggest issue is the Dipatick, is that with all headers (brands and styles)?
I think he meant his dipstick broke when removing. Regardless I can say with the Kooks headers there is no issue. They come with a spacer and longer bolt to position it correctly. There honestly wasn't a hard part with the Kooks install.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Good to know.

Have been debating for a long time on what to get. I am thinking on mids with high flow cats. The engine is 100% Stock but want to be able to fit it to the Solo Mach Balanced and keep the PCM from throwing codes. Also, I am not a fan of the exhaust smell, so I want to keep the cats.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think he meant his dipstick broke when removing. Regardless I can say with the Kooks headers there is no issue. They come with a spacer and longer bolt to position it correctly. There honestly wasn't a hard part with the Kooks install.
Correct. Apologies for the confusion. I think my case was isolated and never saw many others with the same issue. The actual fit of it with all the headers that car went through, never was an issue (Pacesetter, QTP, ARH, and I think another one I can't remember).

Craneum, my $.02 I would keep the cats. Didn't always feel that way but changed over time.

-J

·
Registered
15 Posts
Compared to the rest, I am a little conservative here. All I did was a Spectre Intake and a Borla catback with a Superchips tune with the DOD switched off. There is nothing special about the set up but I love the subtle rumble at idle and roar at WOT. I have a video on my iPhone but I have no idea on how to attach it. Any suggestions on how to put it up on the forum?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I might be biased but I have the solo hfc's with the solo axle backs it has a nice rumble. Mine is cammed with headers. I have heard the borlas as well & they do have a nice sound to it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks for all the likes guys, but just to be clear, I'm not advocating for cat backs. I find loud cars annoying and have no desire to be "that guy" in my neighborhood. I run stock manifolds, high flow cats and GT mufflers on the street. Muffler deletes on the dyno and at the track.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts