Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Bought my g8gt, it has drilled and slotted rotors, what pads to buy?

Tags
brakes pads
5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jason. 
#1 ·
Well, My g8 gt had a ton of suspension upgrades when I bought it, the brakes are squeaking and that is one of my biggest pet peeves, it has drilled and slotted rotors on it (brand unknown), and I'm wondering what the best pads to buy for those rotors would be. I want QUIET pads, with little to no brake dust. I don't care what they cost, just want a quiet dust free ride.

Thanks in advance guys!

#2 ·
Go with some high quality ceramic pads for low dust, I had ebay slotted drilled rotos on my -99 GTP. With Raybestos QS pads, worked really well. I don't know what's out there for the G8, but similar should be available, never had squealing problems. I'm just not in the market for brakes yet with only 26k miles.

#7 ·
I ran Hawk PC ceramic and had no squeal at all. They are not good for track or hpde use, as the temps get too high for these to handle.

I currently have Hawk HP+ on the back and the are the loudest, most annoying squealing brakes I have ever heard. So bad that I am inclined to use down shifting and the E-brake to slow down to avoid the embarrassment at stoplights. And they accumulate as much brake dust in one day than I would normally see in about 3 weeks with other pads.

IMO the stock pads produce less dust than any of the after markets I have used

#8 ·
Do you still have stock calipers on the car?

Please take pics and post them here, then we can recommend what to buy.

#9 ·
I'm running Duralast Gold Cmax(Autozone) pads on all 4 corners on my GXP.
Very quiet and low dust. Didn't really notice a difference in braking from OEM pads, but the OEM pads were noisy and dusty. Thought about trying the Hawk pads, but the Autozone pads work fine for my DD. They also have a lifetime warranty and are quite a bit less $$ than Hawks.

#11 ·
I actually work at Auto Zone, so i got a good deal i couldn't resist... i'm running drilled and slotted too with the CMAX pads aswell... they work great! got me out of 2 mis-haps already!! haha

and plus you can't go wrong with lifetime warranty.. lol

#12 ·
DBA rotors here and Hawk pads for now. While Hawk pads are better then stock they don't compair to EBC pads for bite and low dust/noise. I'm giving these Hawk pads a couple more weeks and then I'm pitching them for EBC pads anyone who wants em is welcome to em. They have less then 1500 miles on them and were installed with brand new rotors.

#13 ·
I have the DBA 4000 slotted rotors with the Hawk ceramic pads and the Hawk pads suck ass! (IMO) They dont work very well when they are cold (on my way to work) and the coating they put on them looks like purple brake dust.. The coating is supposed to ware off but its been 3 weeks and im tired of looking at my rims covered in crap after 2 days of driving.

I heard that EBC Red Stuff pads are really good but are hard on DBA rotors and tend to ware them away fairly quick. Im gonna be switching pads here soon but i dont know to what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.