Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would NEVER put a bra on any car I cared about. May as well just sand down the front of the car now or even better, spray paint the nose a darker color.

3M Clear Bra. Look it up, its worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i looked up the 3m(lots of cash installed) and also heard some bad stories from others that have used it!if i used the material bra on the car i understand the consequences such as rain and removal for every wash

·
Registered
910 Posts
What bad stories? Its all about the installer. You can actually call 3M and find dealers that they recommend, in your area.

I find it WAY better then a bra, which will scratch, sand, uneven fade your paint. Plus bras look silly in my opinion, but that's a matter of taste, so no argument there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the 3m gets a hard enough hit from road debris(rocks ) it will tear or puncture,and then its a pita to replace!then if u hit it with wax theres a problem with haze and it shows wax lines also. i know this is 1 in a million but i would b the 1 with my luck!!lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
I used to use wolf on my s-10 xtreme, it looked pretty good and had nice felt on the bottom side of it, never faded my paint, but I took it off to wash and wax under pretty often. Here are some pics of the wolf brand, which I think makes le-bra, but these have nice felt all over it. Let me know what you think and summitracing was where I got them for that, with the best prices.

Attachments

·
GM Enthusiast
823 Posts
CLEAR BRA FTW!!!!!

I had mine installed a month ago and no problems so far. All you need to do is apply the PLEXUS airesol to the bra whenever you wash your car. It stays shiny and is easy to clean. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a clear bra installed also. For the $250-$300 u pay for a cloth bra, with the problems it can cause, the clear bra is definitely worth every penny. Mine came with a complete replacement warranty for 5 years against coloring, tearing, peeling. I had the entire front end, 14" past the hood scoops on the hood, the front lights, and the backs of the door mirrors for $599. I got a $200 off special for being the first G8 in my area. I have had 3 other black sport cars and the advances in the 3M material being used is 100X better than anything they had 5 years ago.

·
Registered
511 Posts
IMO - Clear bra FTL!!! Too expensive and are problematic. Plus you can see em (streaking is normal especially in dark colored cars).

We spent $600 on our Mini Cooper and the sand pentrates and gets underneath. Then when you use the standard car wash the water find the pits and blows up the coating. Save your money and buy a CAI or a hood protector.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I guess if I had the money buring a hole in my pocket I would get the clear bra, but in 5 years how many door dings and bumper/front end scrapes are you going to have? What about the rocks that hit the top of the car from lifted trucks 20 feet in the air? What about curb rash? I am just saying that if you want a car to look like new, keep it in the garage and if not unless you are selling in to make money or keeping it original, put a new paint job on it in 8+ years if you still have it with a supercharger and nos and anything else. How much more will a car be with with a good front end paint job and rock chips every where else? What about the quarter panels or side ground effects pieces under the doors? Just curious for other peoples opinion? It always seems like no matter how good, I took care of something, you could never totally protect it 100% and where there was no protection(door dings and parking right next to you when you park 5 miles from the entrance to the mall), someone else out there is ready to and will screw it up!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I guess if I had the money buring a hole in my pocket I would get the clear bra, but in 5 years how many door dings and bumper/front end scrapes are you going to have? What about the rocks that hit the top of the car from lifted trucks 20 feet in the air? What about curb rash? I am just saying that if you want a car to look like new, keep it in the garage and if not unless you are selling in to make money or keeping it original, put a new paint job on it in 8+ years if you still have it with a supercharger and nos and anything else. How much more will a car be with with a good front end paint job and rock chips every where else? What about the quarter panels or side ground effects pieces under the doors? Just curious for other peoples opinion? It always seems like no matter how good, I took care of something, you could never totally protect it 100% and where there was no protection(door dings and parking right next to you when you park 5 miles from the entrance to the mall), someone else out there is ready to and will screw it up!
Anyone who drives on the highway knows how beat up the nose of a car will get. Every car I've had, had minimal "chips" everywhere else on the car, and the nose looked like it had been sandblasted. Pretty common for "snow country", due to the cities sanding the roads.

Door dings and whatnot are easy, so are small random chips in the paint. Paintless Dent Doctor, some touch up paint, looks new.

If you take proper care of your car, get the right equipment from the getgo, and keep up with random dings/dents, you can keep your car looking good, even after 100,000 miles.

Example. My trade-in, a Scion xA, had almost 100,000 on it. I paid $225 to have 13 door dings removed, $20 for touchup paint, and another $60 to have the car wetsanded/buffed (to remove scratches). Granted, I knew the body shop owner, but still. Car looked pretty good after that amount of miles, mostly highway.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I understand what you are saying and that is what I do on most of my vehicles, but seriously I got a 95 lt1 firebird formula for free, as it ran fine, but after 180,000 original miles it wasn't worth anything and so my friend gave it to me. The front looked pretty bad after 10 years for driving and it sat in the sun for a while... The interior looked great. I guess the point was even with an lt1 and t-56 the car with that many miles was still only worth 3,000 to 4,000. If it had a new paint job it would still be a car with 180,000 miles and the original clutch, it still worked fine, but I am saying how much more would it be worth? Worth it to me as I got it for free, but not worth paying 6,000 for it. I guess in 10 years how will a car look with 180,000 miles and if the paint looks great for the miles and years how much more will it add to the value as comparied to a new paint job? My s10 in the pictures had 100,000 miles at the point and then I rolled it 6 times and the paint didn't matter at that point, but did look good and I was proud with that many miles and 6 years old. Just thought that this would be worth a laugh, like I said if I had the money and a g8(my gf has the g8) I would be all for keeping it looking like new but as it is not mine, it will hard to get her to spend the money on that but I could get her to get a bra as it costs less, the question is why do I want a bra on the car and not on her?

·
Superduper Member
306 Posts
If you put a bra on your G8 thats just wrong!! Its like puttin a bag over a hot girls head.

·
Superduper Member
306 Posts
We dont have to worry about that though because in this case the girl (G8) is hot

·
CCG8 / FLG8
2,089 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
[email protected]
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing